Question about funeral this week

Hello,

my husband’s uncle passed away yesterday evening. His family is making funeral arrangements. They will let us know as soon as they hear anything. I was assuming there would not be a funeral Jan1 due to it being a feast day, but I also saw they are not held on Christmas eve or the day before January 1 (that was the wording rather than dec. 31).

Is anyone familiar with why that is? Christmas eve I can understand. I also knew that Christmas day and New Year’s day due to feast of st. Mary were not options. I wasn’t familiar with the new year’s eve rule however. At any rate we are waiting on specifics from my husband’s family. I really doubt the funeral will be tomorrow.

From the GIRM:

1. Among the Masses for the Dead, the Funeral Mass holds first place. It may be celebrated on any day except for Solemnities that are Holy days of Obligation, Thursday of Holy Week (Holy Thursday), the Paschal Triduum, and the Sundays of Advent, Lent, and Easter, with due regard also for all the other requirements of the norm of the law.

There is no mention of a prohibition on the days you mention, the day before Christmas and the day before Mary, Mother of God.

Where did you see this? Is it possibly a diocesan rule? Each parish is obviously going to have its own policies due to the availability of clergy and staff.

I’m not sure where this came from, I think I misread something. I wasn’t sure if the prohibition also applies to the vigil. thanks for helping me out, I’ll check usccb in the future.

we’re still waiting to hear. I think the funeral will probably be Thursday since Tuesday would be pretty soon. it’s in Buffalo so we’ll decide on driving vs. flying.

New Years Eve would be a problem if church is having a vigil Mass for the Holy Day. Scheduling of the church itself, as well as time commitments of the priests, servers, musicians, etc., would likely be very difficult as well.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.