Question about God..

Pax Christi !

Just wondering… Why is God silent during times of depression and such? I’m not saying that He is not helping me all the time but sometimes it feels like He is not present during some sad times because of His silence.
I love God, and I shall always love Him, I just want to this since it bothered me lately.

God bless us all…

You need to go to Mass. you were not at Mass this week. Or at least not mentally present.

It’s sometimes hard to hear, especially when your soul is crying in pain…praying for you.

I have some experience with what you’re saying, but I can only wish I understood it enough to give you an answer. Have you heard Andrew Peterson’s The Silence of God? I’ve found it helpful. He has a couple more I’ve found quite apt at times like this: The Rain Keeps Falling and Sower’s Song. This man clearly knows what you’re talking about, too!

I go to Mass, daily, and I am mentally present. While the Mass itself can be subjectively helpful, when one is in this state its help is mostly in the objective sense, which must be trusted but may or may not be perceived - and therefore doesn’t necessarily address the conscious questions this problem raises in the moment. We trust that over time we will be more closely conformed to Christ; however, this does not usually happen appreciably in just 25 or 55 minutes. So don’t worry if Mass also seems silent to you right now. Just do the best you can. Keep showing up, listen, and wait. The waiting will end.

I wonder if the waiting is part of the reason for the silence – to stretch us.

I’ve had these verses on my bathroom mirror for a while. I hope you find them helpful.

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn,
while the world rejoices;
you will grieve, but your grief will become joy.
When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived;
but when she has given birth to a child,
she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy
that a child has been born into the world.
So you also are now in anguish.
But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice,
and no one will take your joy away from you.

On that day you will not question me about anything.
~John 16: 20-23

I’ll pray for you at adoration tomorrow.

I want to elaborate because re reading this it does not come off how I wanted it to. The readings this last Sunday were about how God is the quiet whisper. That you need to still yourself to hear. The reading should have had a large emotional impact on you given your question. It should bring you solace and a reason to listen for His whisper.

Just me, myself and I responding here soft smile I claim no special knowledge or expertise. But I’ve thought about this before and the conclusion I came to was that when I was having times like this, if God had spoken in a “loud” way, I would either have become either more depressed because of my feelings of being unworthy to hear Him, or would have become obsessed to the point of giving up my free will trying to pursue whatever I felt He was guiding me towards. Instead, I find it (again personal experience/viewpoint) to simply try to content myself with visualizing him as being a strong shelter, a rock, a firm path - not communicating but being a base on which I can lean/stand on while I recover.

Yes to this, Me3–praying for you…

I’m glad you explained that because I didn’t understand your first post.

Thank you very much for your prayers. I will pray for all of you in return.

The readings this last Sunday were about how God is the quiet whisper. That you need to still yourself to hear. The reading should have had a large emotional impact on you given your question. It should bring you solace and a reason to listen for His whisper.

Of course, I have heard the readings. I just wanted to ask your opinions about this.

God bless us all…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.