question about godparents

is it possible to change your godparent?

essentially, i was baptized when i was 12. my parents really didn’t know any other catholics at the time so the parish priest suggested they ask my PREP teacher and she agreed. she’s very nice and sweet but i’ve lost contact with her since we moved about 10 years ago.

i don’t have anyone in mind at the moment but if the opportunity arose, would it be ok to change? or else what exactly is the role of a godparent. perhaps i’m misunderstanding that? thanks guys

The godparent at baptism is a witness of record. A godparent supports the parents in their Christian role as models and guides the child’s moral life.

Another one or two (male and female) may be chosen at confirmation CIC

Can. 892
Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament.

Can. 893
§1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in ⇒ can. 874.
§2. It is desirable to choose as sponsor the one who undertook the same function in baptism.

Angell, as Vico said and linked, your godparents are witnesses to your baptism and are supposed to help your parents in raising you as a Catholic. As you are now 22, I would assume that you have been confirmed? This means that essentially, you have now affirmed the baptismal promises made by your parents and godparents and have taken responsibility for your growth as a Catholic, with the aid of your sponsor (who may or may not also have been your existing godparent).

Unfortunately not all who take on the role of godparents or sponsors give serious consideration to that role and what is expected of them.

You can’t actually change your godparent, because it is not possible to be baptised again and have a different witness. Even the role of confirmation sponsor changes once a person is an adult.

Godparents are like your regular parents: you cannot swap them out. :wink:

That doesn’t mean you cannot benefit from establishing a relationship with someone who can serve as a spiritual mentor to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.