Question about Godparents

The Godmother of my boy is not going to be Catholic. The priest said it was fine. My uncle says it is not. Other Catholics says it’s fine. Am I committing a mortal sin if the Godmother of my son belongs to a non-denominational Church. It’s my wife’s sister and she needs to have an input and with her not being Catholic, I thought it was only fair.

Per Canon Law, only a Catholic can be a godparent at a Catholic baptism. You can have a Catholic as godparent and second person who is a baptized non-Catholic-- but they are called a witness.

This is regulated by Canon Law and is not up to the priest. He cannot contravene Canon Law.

Relevant Canon:

Can. 872 In so far as possible, a person being baptized is to be assigned a sponsor. In the case of an adult baptism, the sponsor’s role is to assist the person in Christian initiation. In the case of an infant baptism, the role is together with the parents to present the child for baptism, and to help it to live a Christian life befitting the baptized and faithfully to fulfill the duties inherent in baptism.

Can. 873 One sponsor, male or female, is sufficient; but there may be two, one of each sex.

Can. 874 ß1 To be admitted to undertake the office of sponsor, a person must:

1ƒ be appointed by the candidate for baptism, or by the parents or whoever stands in their place, or failing these, by the parish priest or the minister; to be appointed the person must be suitable for this role and have the intention of fulfilling it;

2ƒ be not less than sixteen years of age, unless a different age has been stipulated by the diocesan Bishop, or unless the parish priest or the minister considers that there is a just reason for an exception to be made;

3ƒ be a catholic who has been confirmed and has received the blessed Eucharist, and who lives a life of faith which befits the role to be undertaken;

4ƒ not labor under a canonical penalty, whether imposed or declared;

5ƒ not be either the father or the mother of the person to be baptized.

ß2 A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community may be admitted only in company with a catholic sponsor, and then simply as a witness to the baptism.

No, you’re not committing a mortal sin. As long as you have one Catholic as god-parent you are fine.

Well that’s exactly what I’m doing!! It’s happening this Sunday regardless. Unfortunately my Uncle who is my Godfather and a Pre Vatican II mongor will nto attend because he says this is unaceptable and that the Child’s baptism is invalid and he will be a “Bastard” and I will be ex-communicated and go straight to Hell!! I should know this!! This has put a major strain on teh whole ordeal. My wife is FURIOUS!! because she is not Catholic. My parents are up in arms and he is mad at them especially my father (his brother) for not being bold enough and not letting this happen.

Pretty strong words Huh? This is the honest to God truth!! To make matters worse he is a homosexual. So how do I keep a relationship with someone who honestly cares for me but plays the game it’s this way or the highway??

[quote=uofl19]Well that’s exactly what I’m doing!! It’s happening this Sunday regardless. Unfortunately my Uncle who is my Godfather and a Pre Vatican II mongor will nto attend because he says this is unaceptable and that the Child’s baptism is invalid and he will be a “Bastard” and I will be ex-communicated and go straight to Hell!! I should know this!! This has put a major strain on teh whole ordeal. My wife is FURIOUS!! because she is not Catholic. My parents are up in arms and he is mad at them especially my father (his brother) for not being bold enough and not letting this happen.

Pretty strong words Huh? This is the honest to God truth!! To make matters worse he is a homosexual. So how do I keep a relationship with someone who honestly cares for me but plays the game it’s this way or the highway??
[/quote]

Yikes!

Tell ya what - focus on what you can and should do…
and that’s for your child - not your uncle or parents or anybody else.

You are Catholic. You’re wife isn’t.
You’re obliged to raise your children in the faith.
Your wife is supporting that.
You have a child.
He is about to be baptized in the Catholic Church.
The priest and Catholic guidelines say the baptism is valid because one of the Godparents is a Catholic.

That is all that you should be concerned about.
How everyone else in the situation responds is their problem, not yours. They are trying to put it onto you. Don’t take it. Offer all of it to God before it even has time to settle in your mind.

Ask the Spirit for special protection between now and Sunday that any disruptive thoughts, emotions, rants sent in your direction fail to touch you so that you can focus on your child, your wife, and your blessed family.

Thank you very much for your support. Obviously this has not gone that smooth since the announcement of my sis-in-law being Godmother. Trust me she is a very Godly person the only thing is she is not Catholic. But trust me she is a great lady and happy to have her as my son’s Godmother.

[quote=uofl19]The Godmother of my boy is not going to be Catholic. The priest said it was fine. My uncle says it is not. Other Catholics says it’s fine. Am I committing a mortal sin if the Godmother of my son belongs to a non-denominational Church. It’s my wife’s sister and she needs to have an input and with her not being Catholic, I thought it was only fair.
[/quote]

The non-Catholic should not be called the Godmother but a “Christian Witness”. She should be entered if at all in the Baptismal register as “Witness”. She also must be validly Baptized and in good standing with her Church. I point this out because not all non-demoninational churches practice valid Baptism.

Just give your uncle a smile and nod and then do what you think is right. I would call Dr. Ray Guerendi at Ave Maria Radio (he’s on 12 -2 Eastern). His call in number is 877-572-7825. He, or his stand in Dr. Coleen have really good advice about issues just like this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.