Question About Gospels

How did the authors of the gospels know about actions of jesus or words of Jesus when nobody was around him? What got me thinking about this was when Jesus was praying in the garden before his arrest and the disciples were sleeping. In Matthew, Jesus repeats the phrase about letting this cup pass three different times…how did Matthew know this is what Jesus prayed about?

Jesus told him or someone else ?

Remember that He took 3 of his disciples with Him into the actual garden to be with Him…and then I think He advanced “a stones throw” away from them. …So they could have heard Him.

I always think of the mysterious “40 days” after Jesus’ Resurrection where he walked, talked, and ate with the disciples before His Ascension into Heaven. I imagine there was much to talk about and many questions that the Apostles had. It seems like a good time for Jesus to recount such things to them as they could now more fully appreciate the meaning.

Until they fell asleep, anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

:thumbsup: Very good point, I had never thought of that before. Thank you!

John 14:25-26 I have said these things to you while still with you; but the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you.

=CatholicSooner;11930560]How did the authors of the gospels know about actions of jesus or words of Jesus when nobody was around him? What got me thinking about this was when Jesus was praying in the garden before his arrest and the disciples were sleeping. In Matthew, Jesus repeats the phrase about letting this cup pass three different times…how did Matthew know this is what Jesus prayed about?

John 14:26-27 “But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid”

John 15:26 -27 “But when the Paraclete cometh, whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall give testimony of me. And you shall give testimony, because you are with me from the beginning”

John 16: 12-15 “.I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. [13] But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you.** All things whatsoever the Father hath, are mine. Therefore I said, that he shall receive of mine, and shew it to you”**.

God takes care of His own:thumbsup:

As for your question about Matthews degree of understanding: Prior to the Resurrection and Asscendtion" it was like the other Apostles; FUZZY:)

The three cups are to represent the Blessed Trinity ALL being involved and participants in the Passion.:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.