Question about Harry Potter 7 **SPOILER*

Could anyone shed light on this? What or who was that pathetic suffering baby in Harry’s near-death-experience with Dumbledore?
All I can think is that it is that part of Voldemort’s soul that was attatched to Harry’s soul. While Harry was in a place of bliss, Voldemort was pathetic and suffering, because death would be horrible for him, since he had no remorse. Harry told him “I have seen what is in store for you, if you do not show remorse…” Am I right about this? Any thoughts? Judie

That was pretty much my interpretation of it.

Yep, that was mine too.

I’m just slow on the uptake! When I read that part (several times) I had no idea what that baby was supposed to be. Then a lightbulb went off… when I was doing something totally unrelated! Funny how our human brains keep right on working on problems long after we have consciously stopped thinking about them!

I agree with everyone else, I took it as being the part of Voldemort that was in Harry.

You guys are all so smart!!!:thumbsup:

Thank you! Thank you! :smiley: (If we had a :bow: smiley I’d put it here! :stuck_out_tongue: )

i have other questions.

if DRaco’s hawthorn wand was the ‘wand of destiny’,
then what was the wand that was in Dumbledore’s grave?

1. how did Neville get the sword from Griphook?

2. why did Dumbledore ask Snape to kill him?

I only know the answer to number two because it was discussed on another thread. He pulled it from the Gryfindor sorting hat.

I think Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him to spare Draco’s soul, because otherwise it was Draco’s job.

No, Dumbledore’s wand (retrieved from his grave) was the Elder Wand/“wand of destiny”. The thing is that Draco disarmed him (thus defeating Dumbledore–who died before recovering his wand). Dumbledore, in essence, allowed himself to be disarmed by taking the time to cast the spell on Harry. The fact that both wands (Elder Wand and Draco’s original) had had the same owner was what gave ownership to Harry after Harry had disarmed Draco.

Wot Melissa said! :slight_smile:

1. how did Neville get the sword from Griphook?

The sorting hat got it and provided it to Nev, a Gryfyndor in great need, just as it did in the Chamber of Secrets for Harry.

1. why did Dumbledore ask Snape to kill him?

It put Snape beyond reproach with the Death Eaters, made his position secure, he also wanted Snape to wield the Elder wand, but that bit went wrong (see above).

There has been a lot of discussion on the morality of the whole Snape/Dumbledore death pact issue. Check out these sites.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=170882

hogwartsprofessor.com/?p=142

studeo.blogspot.com/2007/07/harry-potter-question.html

Griphook, being a goblin, thought that the maker was the true owner and one who would buy it would just be renting the object. The fact that Neville, a true Gryffindor, pulled the sword from the sorting hat proves the sword belonged to Godric Gryffindor.

All of the objects of the founders, Hufflepuff’s cup, Ravenclaw’s diadem, Griffindor’s sword and Slytherin’s locket, all had deep magical powers given by the owners. We know from DH that the diadem would give wisdom to the person wearing it. I’m guessing the sword’s power was to come to the aid of any true griffindor who needed it.

many said that in the ending, the crying baby was Voldemort that was the part of Harry.
…but why would ‘voldemort’ be crying? he’s dead.

and, what happened to Harry in that ending? He talked to Dumbledore, yet Dumbl was dead. Did Harry die or not?

if not, then why DIDN’t Harry die? Voldemort cursed him?

Voldemort was terrified of death.

and, what happened to Harry in that ending? He talked to Dumbledore, yet Dumbl was dead. Did Harry die or not?

The “trainstation” analogy made me think that the place that Harry met Dumbledore was purgatory. A way station from which you can move on.

if not, then why DIDN’t Harry die? Voldemort cursed him?

He was protected by love of his mother and her sacrifice, his own willingness to sacrifice himself selflessly and his link with Voldemo…He Who Must Not Be Named :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

The crying baby was that part of Voldemort’s soul that was living in Harry. I believe it was a kind of “near death experience” that many people have experienced- people “see a bright light, and feel lifted from their bodies” etc. Many say that they they experience God and that somehow God says their work on earth isn’t finished, and they get sent back. I am not commenting on the validity of such claims, but I do believe that is what Harry was experiencing. Later he tells Voldemort that he has seen what is in store for him if he doesn’t show remorse, and that it isn’t pretty. Voldemort will suffer eternally after death if he doesn’t repent (hence the suffering baby, which Dumbledore says “can’t be helped”), while death for Harry will be peaceful and surrounded by those that he loves. Harry choses to come back and finish the job… however: note that it is not a killing curse from Harry that kills Voldemort, but Voldemort’s own killing curse reflected back upon himself that kills him. Harry did not commit murder (even if it would have been justified). Voldemort sealed his own fate- essentially he chose Hell. And Harry, God love him, had the kindness to warn even his mortal enemy. Harry is a great role model! The Christian symbolism in this scene is so rich- I think it is deeper that Chronicles of Narnia.

to the OP:

Good call! I never even thought of that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.