Question about Holy Thursday

After Mass on Holy Thursday there is about one hour where we are invited to stay and remain with Jesus. Like Jesus asked his disciples in the Garden of Olives, “can’t you watch one hour with me”? I don’t know the English term for it, sorry. Anyway, I just love the idea and am looking forward to it. But I know from what little experience I have with eucharistic adoration how difficult this can be for me. Is it okay if during parts of this hour I pray the sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary and maybe the Divine Mercy Chaplet?

Do you mean “Adoration”?

I can’t think what you mean if not “Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament” or as you say, Eucharistic Adoration.

But I ask the Lord to help you and to hold you close in your adoration.
God grant you peace and joy!

You can pray as you wish, from the heart, with the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and with the Rosary in meditating on the life of Jesus within the decades, and in silence or with your own inner words. Speak to Jesus of all in your heart and life, and for those you love, and give Him thanks for His welcome. I ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.

God bless you,
Trishie :slight_smile:

“Our soul awaits the Lord, He is our help and our shield; our hearts rejoice in Him, we trust in His holy name. Lord God, let Your love rest on us, as our hope has rested in You.” [Psalm 33:20-22]

Out of His infinite glory, may He give you the power through His Spirit for your hidden self to grow strong, so that Christ may live in your hearts through faith, and then, planted in love and built on love, you will with all the saints have strength to grasp the breadth and the length, the height and the depth; until, knowing the love of Christ, which is beyond all knowledge, you are filled with the utter fullness of God.”
Glory be to Him whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine; glory be to Him from generation to generation in the Church and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen.” [Ephesians 3: 14-21]

these are most appropriate during Adoration. so is the Liturgy of the Hours. there are texts I believe in the Office of Readings specifically for this night, Good Friday etc. also lectio divina, reading and praying and meditating with the scriptures of the day, the passion narratives etc. The rosary mysteries are a good “lead-in” for this. do spend some time simply in silent waiting as well. we will be there until midnight and I really look forward to this time, a most important part of my personal preparation for Easter and esp. the Vigil

Yes, but pray quietly so as not to disturb other people who are also praying.

Thanks for your answers!

Trishie: Maybe it’s not customary in every region. If I were to translate the German into English it would be “Hour(s) of Mount Olive”. Often the Blessed Sacrament is exposed during this time but I don’t think it will be done in my parish. For some reason my parish isn’t big on Eucharistic Adoration. It is only done a couple of times a year.

puzzleannie: I only plan on doing these prayers part of the time. I just don’t think I could do an hour just sitting quietly. I would be too distracted and on edge so it wouldn’t do much good. Maybe I will pray the first sorrowful mystery, the agony in the garden, several times, perhaps even as 5 decades. It’s the closest thing I can think to “keep watch with Christ” before his passion.

The Eucharist should not be exposed.

It should be in a suborium of some kind, perhaps sitting on the altar, or in a tabernacle in a side chapel if possible

YES, those are very appropriate.

Just being there with Him is an honor, God bless you and maybe if you speak with your Pastor you will be able to have it more often.

Oh, I think you’re right. I haven’t been there before. :slight_smile: Just did another quick search on the web. Usually it’s not exposed.

In England it is referred to as the “watching”.

As the Blessed Sacrament is not exposed, it is not strictly “adoration”.

In my parish, we watch until 10pm, when we conclude with Night Prayer, led by the priest. During those hours it is perfectly appropriate to pray the Rosary (you’ve got time to pray ALL the mysteries!), the Divine Mercy chaplet, or whatever prayers you like. Some parishes watch until midnight, but I don’t think I could manage that, as I have to get a bus home afterwards.

It is a wonderful chance to watch and pray with Our Lord, as He asked the disciples to.

Achso! That’s what “Oelbergstunde” means.

Thanks. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.