Question about impediment to the Diaconate

I have been discerning the Diaconate for some time now. I recently realized that if someone has been involved in an abortion that it’s a perpetual impediment that must be lifted only by the Holy See.

My question is, if a man pays for an abortion before he was Catholic (even Christian) does the impediment still apply to him?

Thanks,
Trying2BHoly

[quote="Trying2BHoly, post:1, topic:229180"]
I have been discerning the Diaconate for some time now. I recently realized that if someone has been involved in an abortion that it's a perpetual impediment that must be lifted only by the Holy See.

My question is, if a man pays for an abortion before he was Catholic (even Christian) does the impediment still apply to him?

Thanks,
Trying2BHoly

[/quote]

I am sure that the seal of baptism does a lot for our salvation. However; abortion like murder is forbidden by natural law and I think that the impediment could still apply. I would talk to the diocesan canon lawyer about it.

I have been discerning the Diaconate for some time now. I recently realized that if someone has been involved in an abortion that it's a perpetual impediment that must be lifted only by the Holy See.

Thanks,
Trying2BHoly

[/quote]

I'd suggest addressing your question under the "Ask an Apologist" section to Fr. Serpa.

Most dioceses require that candidates have the recommendation of their pastor. Discussing your desire to become a deacon with him -- as well as any possible impediments -- is a good start.

Thanks,
Trying2BHoly

[/quote]

Hello T2BH, I like that screen name. It describes most of us here on this forum, at all times we try most often we are successful however we are not perfect.

From my experience of the diaconate start to finish, we didn't have this situation exactly, but we did have one gentleman who during the background checks had an ex-wife make an accusation about him which disqualified him. Everything was in order as far as annulment goes, and he was and is in a blessed and proper marriage at that time and still is. Everything was "fixed", but when the accusation came, it disqualified him because of the appearance of scandal. The Church will not take a chance of having a deacon end up on the front page trying to defend himself and the Church, even though nothing was proven.

The appearance was enough. I do not know if this situation would be similar, if I had to make a guess, I would say no. A Catholic who makes this type of wrong choice can be forgiven, yes this is a sin which in general a priest cannot alone forgive, but the person can be forgiven. A non Catholic, as it appears you were when this took place would have been forgiven of all sin, original and personal, at baptism. So therefore would be a new creation.

I speak only in opinion from my experience and training. There is a committee in your diocese that would be responsible for making that final decision to allow or disallow you. I would start with my pastor if you haven't sought out forgiveness and counseling. Second I would seek out the coordinator of the permanent diaconate for your diocese and sit with him and give a full account and he will tell you whether you are qualified or impeded.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.