Question about impressions from Mary

Hi, all! I was just watching “Life on the Rock” on EWTN and a visitor to the show mentioned that she was awakened and impressed by Mary to continue with the magazine that she had had to stop for a period to focus on her children.

My question: How do you know it’s Mary doing the impression and not Jesus or the Holy Spirit?

As always this is an honest question and not one to bait others. I seriously am interested in why Mary could do the impression when, from my Protestant understanding and perspective, I always consider it the Holy Spirit or Jesus who come to us to inspire our spiritual steps in our lives…

Thanks and God bless all!
In our Risen Lord,

Rita

I’ll try and explain from my perspective.

Mary was given to us to be our Mother by our Lord Jesus Christ. He did this while he was dying on the cross and she was looking up at Him and suffering with Him.

From the first moment of her conception in her mother’s womb she was full of grace.

This may sound overly simplistic, but when Eve said “no”, all the grace went to Mary who said “yes”.
I have heard it said that she has what belongs to us, (grace) and we can ask her for it.

Many years ago there was a time when I went to Mass every Sunday, but did not go to confession or receive the Eucharist. I allowed turmoil in my life to do that to me. I knew I needed to go back, and one weekday (I had about four children by then) two Legion of Mary members knocked on my door. They asked me if I had joined any of the ladies groups, and I told them I did not know how to drive yet. One of them offered to pick me up and take me, and she also gave me the beautiful prayer leaflet of the Legion of Mary and asked me to say the prayer daily…which I did.

After some time I began to realize that I MUST get back to confession and the Eucharist. I had been praying the Rosary as well.

One Saturday I just knew I had to ask my neighbor across the street to drive me there, as she had told me that if I needed to go somewhere she was usually available…(My husband would be home watching the children). I hesitated and was fearful and I stood in my dining room feeling very awkward, and then I felt that Our Lady was speaking to me and gently commanded me to go put my jacket on and go across the street to ask my neighbor for a ride to church. I couldn’t resist that feeling and did so immediately. So that afternoon, after several years, I went to confession and back to the Eucharist the next day.

Over the years, in getting closer to many others in community in my parish, I heard similar stories…of course no two were alike.

And after four more children were born, then the oldest became teens and that was quite a handful! She then led me into her Order, the Lay Carmelites. (another life-line sent to me!). That was a wonderful new spiritual beginning for me, and I am still on that journey.

Your question inspired me to share this!

Peace,

Dorothy

P.S. Blessed Mother is called the spouse of the Holy Spirit. Of course she is also the daughter of the Father, and the mother of the Son.

Loved Dorothy’s post:).

Thank you Mary…I love your name! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! Again this morning on a show on EWTN a caller said we need to bring these evil to the Victorious Lady (?) and that she alone would be able to care of the problem…I’m sorry - I’m just not understanding this perspective and maybe I won’t ever - but Isn’t God the only one who has the omnipotence to take care of the sinful issues on our world? Seriously only trying to understand…

God bless you ladies for sticking with me…

Rita

Thanks for sharing!!

All good comes from God! The good that comes from me comes from God. (I get in the way a lot!)

God does use us to help others, with His Grace. You can pray for me; I can pray for you.

The Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary are united as one. I cannot imagine how united they are in their spirits! Jesus chooses to use His Mother a lot! Because she is full of grace, she does not get in the way of what He wants to do through her.

Mary is like a clear pane of glass (no smudges) that allows the Light of the Holy Trinity to shine through.

At the moment of her conception in her mother’s womb, she was full of grace…given to her without any merit on her part. However, she cooperated with that gratuitous grace and grew in faith, hope, and love.
She also suffered much, beyond our imagination, in union with her Son. He has given her many privileges.

I don’t use theological language much, as I am not trained to do so, so am rambling and trying to explain in my own words.

That’s all I can think of right now. :slight_smile:

I understand. I know, for sure, that this is one of the major points that keeps me from seriously looking into the Catholic Church. There is a fine line between seeing her as the Blessed Virgin who was the means of bringing the incarnate Christ into the world and then giving her power that should only be ascribed to God.

Many of you here at CAF have adamantly stood with the claim that she is not on par with the Trinity but that she helps show the way to Christ but I still here these things on the radio and television shows that make me step back and wonder. I appreciate my Catholic friends here and love them with the love of Christ. I don’t think I can ever completely make a swim across that Tiber river - but I appreciate you all helping me understand what the Catholic faith is all about. Still a lot to learn and I’m not leaving …

God bless!

Rita

Ello. It’s been quite a while since I thought about Life On The Rock, but I can’t not comment on it simply because I have Jeff Cavins as a professor back in the day. (I doubt many people even know that he taught for a little while before TV … Well, not really “before TV”, you know.)

Anyhow, I’m just thinking that, for many of us like myself, the Internet plays such a large role in religion that on those occasions when

=spedteacherita;13027932]Hi, all! I was just watching “Life on the Rock” on EWTN and a visitor to the show mentioned that she was awakened and impressed by Mary to continue with the magazine that she had had to stop for a period to focus on her children.

My question: How do you know it’s Mary doing the impression and not Jesus or the Holy Spirit?

As always this is an honest question and not one to bait others. I seriously am interested in why Mary could do the impression when, from my Protestant understanding and perspective, I always consider it the Holy Spirit or Jesus who come to us to inspire our spiritual steps in our lives…

Thanks and God bless all!
In our Risen Lord,

Rita

The question from a theological position * is mute. WHY?

Because Saints in heaven, including Mary; the Mother of God CAN ONLY DO GOD"S WILL:thumbsup:

Thanks for asking:)

God Bless you,

Patrick*

Hello. It’s been quite a while since I thought about Life On The Rock, but I can’t not comment on it, simply because I had Jeff Cavins as a professor back in the day. (I doubt many people even know that he taught for a little while before TV … Well, not really “before TV”, you know.)

Anyhow, I’m just thinking that, for many of us like myself, the Internet – and in particular Internet “forums” – plays such a large role in religion. Therefore, something religious on TV (or a magazine, or a book that doesn’t have the word “face” in the title) tends to be experienced both as a reminder and as a breath of fresh air.

Now, I don’t want to contradict what I just said, but I do feel it necessary to throw a little cold water on it by pointing out that TV isn’t perfect either (nor is any other media). And I’m not just speaking hypothetically here: I’ve heard some pretty bad misrepresentations of Catholicism on TV.

In conclusion, I often point out to people that “Catholicism is not a website” … but now that I think about it maybe I should also tell them “Catholicism is not a TV show” :hmmm:.

So then, what if someone said “I was awakened and impressed by Jesus to” etc. ?

(Just asking.)

I have been awakened many times impressed by Christ or the Holy Spirit to pray for someone particular. The last person for whom I was awakened was a former pastor who had had to resign because of illness. It was a sudden - “sit up in bed” moment where I took to praying immediately.

I guess, as Patrick said, it is really a moot point as Catholics feel Mary can do such things, too, and one can be impressed by God thru Christ.

The thread was more of an opportunity to “chew on” the Catholic belief in Mary and get some friendly input as I ponder that particular doctrine.

Thank you all. I’m in a very introspective move.

God bless!!

I was watching the news today and an elderly catholic said that she was dx with thyroid cancer in 2001 ,but was cured and been cancer free ,attributing it to his deep devotion to st.jude.catholic church teaches that saints ,mary are just intercessors ,jesus is the one that heals/cures.one convert to the cc,stated that mary was a major stumbling block in his conversion,as is usually is.one day,he told mary,if you are really what the catholic believes pls let me experience it.few days after,he saw a statue of mary in the church,smiling abruptly to him.he asked people around him,if they saw what he did.they responded negatively.then,same statue winked an eye on him .this man was possibly just in his 30s and was a guest at “the journey home” program on ewtn,a while back! I heard similar stories from converts to cc.

Well, not to sound like a copy cat, but how do you know it’s Jesus or the Holy Spirit? :hmmm:

Well, actually, they are one and the same as being members of the triune God. Technically, Christ would work thru the Word, no? and the HS works thru…uh oh…I’m getting into deep theological muddied water where my mind cannot function right now…lol…

Perhaps, I should just say that God is nudging me in those moments to think and pray for that particular person or thing that is about to happen…It all comes from Him anyway! :wink:

***Just got new meds last weekend and my body is still adjusting - my ability to reason is somewhat even MORE impaired…if that can happen.

God bless you, Peter!

In Christ’s love,

Rita

There is a Protestant saying, “You just know you know, you know.” I know through Mary’s prayers I came into the Catholic Church, I just know. God is doing the impression so we will know it was Mary, another saint or God directly.

You are one hundred percent correct God is the only one who has the omnipotence to take care of the sinful issues. He uses the prayers of His people to do so and the prayers of our Victorious Lady are the most powerful. As a Catholic I see what the caller means by, she alone would be able to take care of the problem. The wording, she alone, should be taken as hyperbolic. Not in the sense she alone without God. I know as a Protestant I would have been put off by the wording also. I guess it’s a Catholic cultural thing we just know how it’s to be taken.

Everything Mary does comes from God, not of her own power apart from God. Think of it in this way. We see powers ascribed to God alone shared with finite men who raised the dead, walked on water, healed the lame, knew the future etc… Grace can only be a power ascribed to God, the indwelling Holy Spirit can only be a power ascribed to God. Yet God shares all these and more with His people. As scripture tells us with God we can do all things without God we can do nothing.

Thanks for the thoughtful explanation!

I see a lot of devotion to the Theotokos from those that are hurt, that’s a good thing as Mary points to the Jesus on the Cross.

Could you expound on the sentence you said - I’ve heard it from other Catholics that some prayer is more powerful than others based on who is saying them and that makes me curious.

Generally - from the Lutheran perspective, the most ‘powerful’ prayers are those that express a desire that God aligns our will with His.

I could see that Mary’s will is very much aligned with God’s per her response: “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38)

So I could see that if we pray a worthy prayer to Mary, that she would add her prayer to our - but those prayers would seem to have to be almost perfectly aligned with God’s will.

No asking for world domination or a new Cadillac :slight_smile:

Ben,

This is a very kind and cordial post about Our Blessed Mother, kudos to you! I do not mean to jump in and answer any questions on someone’s behalf, but I thought I could maybe help a little.

“the most ‘powerful’ prayers are those that express a desire that God aligns our will with His” you say. This is a good definition! I like it! In fact, it reminds me of what St. James says in his fifth chapter:

“The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16 NIV*

First, no one, not one person was ever hailed by any angel of any type, outside of Virgin Mary. In fact, it was precisely men who would hail angels as they (angles) are in fuller communion with God, abandoned fully to grace and His will. There are only two people ever to be hailed in Sacred Scripture, Our Blessed Lord and Our Blessed Mother. Jesus Christ was hailed by Judas and Gentile sinners (not to undermine Him whatsoever!), the other person, the Holy Mother of God, was hailed by an archangel, something that had never happened before and has never been repeated since. Moreover, this archangel not only greeted her with a ‘hail’ but also proclaimed her to be full of grace. Not only declared to be full of grace, but in all actuality and reality, full of grace. Aside from her Divine Son, I could not imagine anyone else, of all the human beings, from Adam to the end of time, to be more “righteous” that Mary. She is perpetually full of grace, how could it not spill over into her children’s prayers, whereby making them powerful and effective?

I think it is also important to note and remember, that it was by Mary cooperating with God’s grace and will, that our redemption won by Jesus Christ, could have even occurred. Think about this; God could have descended to us by any means He willed. He could have formed the person of Jesus Christ just like he did Adam, immaculately from dust. He could have taken a rib from anyone, and formed Jesus Christ like he did woman (Eve). And I am sure you can think of an infinite more number of ways God could have willed to redeem mankind. The point is, God descended to us through Mary. The person of Jesus Christ, initially, did not come to us through the Bible, or through Baptism, or through Holy Communion, or through Tradition, or through anything else. Before a sacrament could even be established, before on stroke of the pen could even hit a canonized Gospel or Epistle, before we could be born into the Kingdom of God, before we could have eaten the flesh and drank the blood of our Incarnate God (ALL of which are effected by Christ, with Christ, and through Christ having been purchased by Him by His life, death, and resurrection)…None of that would have been possible without the simple will of words from a 15 year old Jewish girls saying, “Fiat”.

There is no need to dichotomize the heart of Jesus from the heart of His Mother, Woman. Just as Jesus is 100% fully Divine and 100% fully human, so is He 100% Son of God and 100% Son of Mary. No one on this planet, will ever come close to loving Blessed Virgin Mary more than Jesus Christ. No one will ever honor (honor your mother, fourth commandment) Her more than Jesus Christ. No one will ever go to her for motherly care than Jesus Christ did. Does this undermine the Kingship, Divinity, or mediation of Our Lord Jesus Christ? Not at all! It magnifies it by expressing just how God willed redemption to come to the human race, through Ever Virgin Mary!

“The Church, with the Holy Ghost, blesses our Lady first, and Our Lord second” in Luke 1:42. “It is not that Mary is more than Jesus or even equal to Him - that would be intolerable heresy; but it is that in order to bless Jesus more perfectly, we must begin by blessing Mary.” - St. Louis De Montfort

Hence our prayer: “Hail Mary, full of grace. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.” This prayer is derived from Scripture.

No need to dichotomize, but harmonize! Unity, not division! One, one, one and not many.

Hope that helps a little bit you kind soul! :slight_smile:

Eric

If angels can impress upon people things. surely the Virgin Mary can too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.