Question about invalid baptisms

My family goes to a well... i guess baptist church(it's sort of a "hipster" protestant church where noone at all wears a suit, the worship leader is a guy in skinny jeans, a v-neck t-shirt, and vans skate shoes,with distorted electric guitars and a band, no creeds, and the theology is baptist; they have no denomination listed nor do they call themselves non-denominational

Anyway the baptisms are so that the Pastor asks them "who do you trust as your lord and savior" they say "jesus christ" and then he dunks them once.

They are absolutely trinitarians but don't use the "father/son/holy spirit" as Catholicism says to, being that they see it as symbolic.

1. Does "baptism of desire" apply here? Are they all "not Christian"?

2. Also, does baptism require the words to be said as the person is being immersed? Is it valid if a pastor says "i baptize you in the name of the father, son, holy ghost" then immerses the person once?

[quote="All_Father, post:1, topic:326153"]
My family goes to a well... i guess baptist church(it's sort of a "hipster" protestant church where noone at all wears a suit, the worship leader is a guy in skinny jeans, a v-neck t-shirt, and vans skate shoes,with distorted electric guitars and a band, no creeds, and the theology is baptist; they have no denomination listed nor do they call themselves non-denominational

Anyway the baptisms are so that the Pastor asks them "who do you trust as your lord and savior" they say "jesus christ" and then he dunks them once.

They are absolutely trinitarians but don't use the "father/son/holy spirit" as Catholicism says to, being that they see it as symbolic.

1. Does "baptism of desire" apply here? Are they all "not Christian"?

2. Also, does baptism require the words to be said as the person is being immersed? Is it valid if a pastor says "i baptize you in the name of the father, son, holy ghost" then immerses the person once?

[/quote]

1. Baptism of desire only holds for someone, who at the moment of their death, have not yet been baptized, but has a desire to have been, given they had the chance. So, no, that does not hold here.

2. From my understanding, as long as the words are spoken with the proper understanding of the Trinity, and water is used, then generally it should be valid.

[quote="bzkoss236, post:2, topic:326153"]
1. Baptism of desire only holds for someone, who at the moment of their death, have not yet been baptized, but has a desire to have been, given they had the chance. So, no, that does not hold here.

1. From my understanding, as long as the words are spoken with the proper understanding of the Trinity, and water is used, then generally it should be valid.

[/quote]

I know once I was baptized as a child "in the name of Jesus" and the church told me that was not valid. I was rebaptized and confirmed at the Easter vigil with the rest of my group from RCIA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.