Question about Jewish Genealogy (Tribes)

Hi. My question is about genealogy. In ancient times, each person knew which tribe of Israel he or she descended from. When did that information stop being recorded, and why?

Here is an article from Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_(Jewish_Encyclopedia). Apparently, persons with the name “Cohen” still trace their line back to Aaron, the first High Priest although they have not actually gone through all the records.

As I recall, the records were preserved in the Temple. When it was destroyed in 70(?) AD many of the records were lost.

Of course many records were lost in the destruction of the First Temple. I think there is a discussion someplace in Ezra and/or Nehemiah of the problems in reconstructing these.

WHen the Assyrians conqured Israel in 720 BCE or so, the tribes were scattered and lost to history. (10 out of 12).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.