Question about John 6:29

Ok so I was doing some thinking about this verse. ‘‘Amen, amen I say unto you: He that believeth in me, hath everlasting life.’’ Now this is a statement by Christ. So Christ, who is truth (I am the truth, the way, and the life), is unable to lie, correct? So let’s say I believe in Christ, yet do not get baptized, and then die. Will I suffer the second death?

Can you 1st explain how one can “believe in Christ” yet not get baptized?

Peace!!!

Yes, why don’t you share with us your understanding of “believe in”?

We should not form our understanding of salvation on a verse, but the whole bible. Yet, we do not need to read the entire bible in order to BE saved. So we must have a repentive heart to accept the direction of the Holy Spirit. We are Confirmed, annointed, and sent by the Holy Spirit through the Church. It is through the Church (by participation and reception) that we are saved. And it is by faith that we know any of this.

The same Christ, whom you “believe in”, has said that whoever is not baptised is condemned. So now you have your answer!

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will ne saved

One verse doesn’t tell the whole story.

-Tim-

:thumbsup:

Why don’t we just cut and paste the New Testament here? Or every word Jesus said?

I love to study and learn the Scriptures, but it gets old when it becomes a mere matter of throwing verses at each other.

OP, what is your concern about Baptism? Do you think it is an empty ritual? Do you think it was not given to us as the normal means of washing away our sins? Do you think that the Church does not recognize those who by no fault of their own, died without Baptism, yet believed in their hearts? Do you not believe it was a command from Jesus to do so?

Catechism of the Catholic Church
1258 The Church has always held the firm conviction that those who suffer death for the sake of the faith without having received Baptism are baptized by their death for and with Christ. This Baptism of blood, like the desire for Baptism, brings about the fruits of Baptism without being a sacrament. (2473)

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament. (1249)

1260 “Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery.”63 Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity. (848)

The verse quoted in the original post isn’t John 6:29. John 6:29 is completely different. The verse quoted is John 6:47 and it goes with verse 48.

***Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. *(John 6:47-48)

It’s about believing that Jesus is the bread of life. If we believe that Jesus is the bread of life then we will have eternal life. It’s about the Eucharist.

-Tim-

Water baptism is ordinarily necessary for salvation, as Jesus said, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved…” (Mark 16:16) However, if baptism is not possible, then the desire of baptism is sufficient.

If you confess that “Jesus is Lord” - okay, if you are confessing him as your “LORD”, then you are confessing that YOU are his “SUBJECT” - Lord and Subject go together.
And, of course, as a faithful and obedient subject to your Lord, you will, of course, do all that he commands you. His command is to be Baptized by his Church, so, of course, you do what he commands and ask the Church to Baptize you.
Some say, “No, I don’t need to be baptized”. They are, of course, saying, “I do not have to obey this because I am free just to believe.” meaning that they are their own lords doing what they decide and not having “Jesus as Lord”.

So, do I believe in him? as my LORD? and thus believe in ME as his obedient SUBJECT?
Do what you will, but I will stand with the wise Ethiopian who said, “Look, here is some water; what is to prevent you from baptizing me, right now? I want to be part of this great salvation” And he was baptized and went away rejoicing - not because he “believe in Jesus”, but because he was included now among the people of the New Covenant through being Baptized into union with Jesus.

Why does your signature have a Nihil Obstat? :confused::slight_smile:

-Tim-

What is the intention/situation for no baptism?

Actually it says… Nihil Obstat †

Its a bit of humor (because I’m no Bishop) but more intededly an encouragement that Nothing Obstructs the cross.

Greetings fooydo!
The above verse has two commands from Paul.
(1) confess with your lips
(2) believe in your heart

I will reiterate my question, Can one believe in Jesus and not do what he tells us to do? Can you really consider this “believe”? This sounds and looks like belief from your lips and not “necessarily” in your heart.

Peace!!!

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.