Question about Latin Vulgate

Hi all. My mom recently gave me a Latin Vulgate that had belonged to my grandmother and possibly even her mother. It is beautiful but I was curious as to these three texts that follow the New Testament. I will show pictures and maybe someone can explain the history of these texts? I don’t think that they are canonical. Following the Apocalypse there are three texts, Oratio Mannesae regis, Liber Esdrae III, Liber Esdrae IV. Thanks!!

I am going to tag @Gorgias @BartholomewB

3 Likes

The Prayer of Manasseh, 1 Esdras, and 2 Esdras (3 and 4 Esdras in the Vulgate and Latin-derived Bibles). Books that are not included in the Catholic canon of Scripture, but are included “ne prorsus interirent” - lest they altogether perish. We consider them Apocrypha, but are preserved because they are good reading.

7 Likes

The Orthodox consider these part of their scripture canon.

The Prayer of Manasseh, and 3 & 4 Esdras were in some early versions of the Septuagint, and even in some versions of the Vulgate. Incidentally, the additions to Ezra-Nehemiah (ie: 3 Esdras) was in the fourth century church councils of Hippo & Carthage (as well as in the Septuagint), but not in Jerome’s Vulgate nor the Ecumenical Council of Trent. They are included in other OTs, such as the Ethiopian Orthodox Bible, which is based on the Septuagint.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Fascinating.
Yah on the first page of this appendix it seems there is an explanation and uses the same term in Latin that you used.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.