Question about Lent...have you ever heard of this?

Ok, this is the 4th time I am posting this question, 3 times the website wasn’t responding, so it didn’t post and the last time, mid posting, I was bumped off-line, so here it goes again…I really need to know the answer, that’s why I’m diligent in posting this question.

Have you heard of the following statements:

During Lent, it is ok to indulge in whatever you “gave up”

If a feast day falls on a Friday during Lent, you can indulge in whatever you “gave up” and also eat meat.

If a feast day falls on either Ash Wednesday or Good Friday, you do not have to abstain from meat and do not have to fast…and you can indulge in whatever you “gave up”

The feast day also includes birthdays.

A gal on another mb I post at is making these claims and I have never heard of this before…can someone enlighten me? Thanks and many blessings!

double post…sorry. Not sure if I can delete this one…:slight_smile:

The laws of Fast and Abstinence have changed a great deal over the years. Even meatless Fridays during Lent are optional. The church does not want to lay burdens on the people as the early Temple officials did in the time of Jesus. However, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday remain and must be observed, no matter what. On a feast such as St. Pat’s Day, folks sometimes relax what they gave up. Also, Sunday is always a day of great thanksgiving and rejoicing and one can relax what they give up the rest of the week. Sunday is not a day of penance.Many folks keep their penance for the whole time as they don’t feel right relaxing once they have started a penance.

My mom once told me that if a feast day falls on a Friday you don’t have to give up meat, but I don’t know how accurate that is. Either way, I continue to keep my penance because I want to offer it to God. I don’t see it as an obligation to get out of, but a gift I want to give God. I’m actually giving things up in my day to day life even outside of Lent for this very reason.

[quote=Deacon Tony560] . . .Even meatless Fridays during Lent are optional. . . …
[/quote]

Do you have a reference to support this. Instructions from my bishop say they are mandatory, and he has never been accused of being conservative.

Canon Law states (**emphasis **added):

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

And yes, Sundays – even in Lent – rank as solemnities, and you need not fast on those days.

The only universal solemnities liable to coincide with Good Friday (I think) are St Joseph (19-Mar) and Annunciation (25-Mar). When this happens, Good Friday (being part of the Triduum) takes precedence and the solemnity is translated either forward or backward. (I presume the same is true of solemnities celebrated by a local calendar)

For instance, this year, 2005, Good Friday falls on 25-Mar. Since the Triduum and the Easter Octave have precedence, the Annunciation will not be celebrated until the Monday following the Second Sunday of Easter, 4-Apr. (Jesus will still be born on 25-Dec – Guess he will be a premie this year :smiley: )

The Nativities of Our Lord, Our Lady, and John the Baptist aside, I believe Canon Law is silent wrt other birthdays. :stuck_out_tongue:

tee

Last year, the Solemnity of St. Joseph fell on a Friday during lend. It was explained by several people (including either Jimmy Akin or Karl Keating) using Canon 1251 that meat was permissable.

That worked out to my advantage because the Customer Service department where I worked had a pot luck lunch and they had Hotdogs and Kraut.

PF

[quote=all4life]If a feast day falls on a Friday during Lent, you can indulge in whatever you “gave up” and also eat meat.

If a feast day falls on either Ash Wednesday or Good Friday, you do not have to abstain from meat and do not have to fast…and you can indulge in whatever you “gave up”

The feast day also includes birthdays.
[/quote]

If you are fortunate enough to have an Irish Bishop, it is quite common that the fasting/abstinance requirement will be reprieved on St. Patrick’s Day. :smiley:

Only the Bishop has the authority to change these requirements. I have never heard that someone’s birthday might be included. But I can see where a Bishop might include that in his instructions to his diocese.

But would it just apply to Suzie or Tommy? Or would their entire family get to eat steaks that Friday? It would be tough if Mom or Dad had to cook meat, but couldn’t taste any! :smiley:

None of my close relatives had birthdays fall during Lent, so I just never heard of that one.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Last year, the Solemnity of St. Joseph fell on a Friday during lend. It was explained by several people (including either Jimmy Akin or Karl Keating) using Canon 1251 that meat was permissable.

That worked out to my advantage because the Customer Service department where I worked had a pot luck lunch and they had Hotdogs and Kraut.

PF
[/quote]

Not just permissible, but from what I gathered from EWTN, it is not appropriate to mourn for our sins on Sundays and solemnities because of their joyful character. Therefore, it seems that not only can we eat meat but we should not actively subject ourselves to substitute mortification.

If a CHRUCH feast day such as the Feast of St Joseph or the Feast of the Annunciation should fall on a Friday (other than Good Friday), then it is permissible to consume meat. This is NOT extended to private birthdays.

I agree…I have never heard that one before…furthermore, is it so hard for people to sacrafice meats for just one day of the week in memory of the Passion of our Lord…he was willing to be mocked, tortured, and brutally murdered for our sake and for our salvation…I say we owe him a lot more than just missing out on meat one day per week. I try to abstain from meats on every Friday of the year, and during lent, I just have bread and water.

[quote=Joe Kelley]Do you have a reference to support this. Instructions from my bishop say they are mandatory, and he has never been accused of being conservative.
[/quote]

[quote=Joe Kelley]Do you have a reference to support this. Instructions from my bishop say they are mandatory, and he has never been accused of being conservative.
[/quote]

I checked our Archdiocese site and I stand corrected. It is as you say. However, I know that I heard from a pastor that it was now optional. I will have to check further. The only other thing that I found in Canon Law was that the bishop has the final say on Fast and Abstainance Laws in his diocese. I don’t think that you can get an indult on this regulation. Thanks for catching me on this one.

Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=Sir Knight]If a CHRUCH feast day such as the Feast of St Joseph or the Feast of the Annunciation should fall on a Friday (other than Good Friday), then it is permissible to consume meat. This is NOT extended to private birthdays.
[/quote]

Since my birthday usually falls during Lent, my own “giving up” always excluded my birthday. So I could have cake and ice cream!!! This year it falls on a Friday during Lent so I guess I can have cake with my fish!! The bishop can commute a Friday pennance but the person can commute their own mortification (like giving something up).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.