Question about marriage

My fiancee is in the Army and we have been planning a wedding but he got orders to deploy a lot sooner than expected and it conflicts with the wedding date. We are both very religious, but he is not Catholic. Our wedding was to be in my church. Since the deployment came up we have had family and friends talk to us about going to the justice of the peace and get married, then when he gets back have our large church wedding.

My question is what is the Catholic view on getting married outside of the church and then having a wedding later in the church? (I’m the only Catholic in my family)

Thank you so much! God Bless!

For a Catholic to get married outside the church, you need a special dispensation. Otherwise your marriage is invalid in the eyes of the Church. As far as I know, you can get a dispensation like that from the bishop of your diocese. I would ask your parish priest about it, I’m sure he can set things in motion. Good luck, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

ETA: As far as having a wedding in church later in concerned: I don’t think you can get married twice. Perhaps it is possible to have your parish priest bless your union in church? I’m sure he could advise you on that as well.

Since He is in the Army, I would suggest you talk to the Catholic Chaplin on his army base… Chaplins can do a lot…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.