Question about Mass said for a deceased loved one

I try to have Masses said for my deceased loved ones as often as possible. I know that this benefits them if they are in Purgatory, but what if they are in Heaven or (God forbid) hell?

I have always had the understanding that God does not allow graces to go to waste, so I am curious what the Church thinks God does with these graces if the individual who would receive them has no need of them or cannot receive them? Does God simply give the graces of the Mass said for a loved one who is actually in Heaven or hell to the soul most in need of these graces?

I appreciate any information the good people on CAF can give me. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

The Divine Mercy prayer says "those in most need of your mercy". I like to think that that's how all the "extra" intentions and indulgences are handled. But of course, we can never (on this earth) know for sure.

The graces would be applied to some other soul. The same goes for indulgences that you apply to a certain soul; if the soul is in Heaven or Hell, the graces are applied to remit the temporal punishment of some other soul.

The graces would be applied to some other soul. The same goes for indulgences that you apply to a certain soul; if the soul is in Heaven or Hell, the graces are applied to remit the temporal punishment of some other soul.

Thanks. That's what I had assumed, but I wanted to get other people's input too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.