Question about Modesty (Ice Skating)

Hi to all!
I’ve got a question about modesty. I am in ice skating, and I’m just wondering what people think of ice skating dresses. I haven’t bought any, but I found one that I like…I don’t like the low cut dresses in the front or back either…etc…Please let me know what you think!

[quote=khkhk]Hi to all!
I’ve got a question about modesty. I am in ice skating, and I’m just wondering what people think of ice skating dresses. I haven’t bought any, but I found one that I like…I don’t like the low cut dresses in the front or back either…etc…Please let me know what you think!
[/quote]

Don’t a lot of the “low cut” dresses actually have like a skin colored piece that covers the “open” part? That’s what I was told. You could always opt of the “pants suit” couldn’t you?

[quote=tkdnick]You could always opt of the “pants suit” couldn’t you?
[/quote]

Not at the level of competation Sarah in. Use your best judgement…ask your mom too.

Good to hear from you again.

When I watch ice skating on TV, I find the greatest source of immodesty of the womens’ costumes is a brief (attached to the dress) that is too skimpy and reveals too much – so when you try on the dress, check to see that you have adequate coverage there.

[quote=dhgray]Not at the level of competation Sarah in.
[/quote]

What level of competition are we talking about?

I think I remember seeing Katarina Witt in a “pant suit”. It was like a spandex outfit.

[quote=khkhk]Hi to all!
[/quote]

How old are you and at what level are you skating? If you are a serious USFSA regional competitor, why don’t you try to contact Tara Lipinski? She is (as you know) a beautiful skater, Catholic, and devoted to St. Therese of Lisieux . . . I’ll bet she would have great advice.

I’m not suggesting that if you are at a lower level you should NOT contact her but she probably gets tons of mail, and might be a little more likely to respond to a serious skater.

Since practice dresses are pretty much “covered,” I assume you are concerned about competition dresses. My advice would be just to keep your behind cheeks covered by the “pants” (although the hip can be cut “high” to lengthen your leg line). Don’t go with anything in two pieces, and maybe stay away from those plunging necks and backs. You can be sophisticated and still be modest. Beadwork goes a long way toward jazzing up a dress. But the most important thing is to land firmly, with you back arched and on a good clean edge!

Figure skating used to be such an elegant sport! It seems to have gone noisy and vulgar lately – but maybe you’re the girl to bring it back to its beauty!

Here’s to your next triple Lutz! :bounce:

personally, i dont think the skirts are a problem, becuase ( i dont iceskate but this is what i think. . ) i owuld think that they would interfere with your skating. i would just try and stay away from low-cut dresses. or like somebody else mentioned, the fleshcolored fabric is another option.

Keep in mind that how covered up you need to be to be modest depends on what you’re doing. Even if you could manage it, no one could judge your toe loops if you were in a ball gown, could they? If the skirt is too long, it will affect your spins, not to mention whether your artistic movements look like you are showing emotion or having an unsuccessful fight with a stray bedsheet!

Also, spandex from ankle to wrist does not guarantee that you’re not doing unfair things to the imagination. Choose music and a dress that don’t suggest you’re going to be finishing your routine with a strip tease act… and as an earlier poster mentioned, mind what will show when the skirt flies up.

Have fun!

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had any lustful thoughts when watching ice skating on television. Maybe it’s because I get caught up in the beauty of the performance.

Sorry I can’t be of more help :slight_smile:

[quote=khkhk]Hi to all!
I’ve got a question about modesty. …I don’t like the low cut dresses in the front or back either…
[/quote]

Then don’t buy them.
Excuse me while I go rest my brain–that was SOOOOOOOO exhausting.

[quote=tuopaolo]Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had any lustful thoughts when watching ice skating on television. Maybe it’s because I get caught up in the beauty of the performance.
[/quote]

That’s good to hear. I have had lustful thoughts while watching ice skating on television. Then again I used to get lustful thoughts looking at the J.C. Penney catalog, so go figure. One advantage to aging is that, in my case, these things don’t bother me anymore like they used to.

As far as how khkhk can use this information, I’d say don’t worry about it. No matter what you wear, unless it is a fully zipped parka, guys will be “checking you out.” That’s just what males are designed to do when they see attractive women.

I have daughters about your age, and I am pleased to hear your concern for modesty. I don’t want to scare you, but it takes precious little to interest a young man – or even an old one. The world would be a better place if more girls thought like you and weren’t trying to wear the sleeziest thing they can find.

Alan

I haven’t been asked about ice skating, but I have about cheerleading. Some outfits aren’t exactly all-covering, but it’s not like God designed the female body to be all-covered just because we have some males who can’t control their thoughts and desires.

Where I have a problem is consciously and willingly tempting. Moves and positions which are sexual in nature are bad. Same probably for tempting gesture, for the biggest part. Anything seductive is also problematic. Doesn’t mean you can’t be cute. But there’s a difference between being cute and being sexually open.

I admit I can’t really answer the problem of flying skirts. I suppose it isn’t intented, let alone sexually, but it does bother me.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. First, I would not go with the “skin colored” fabric just because I think that’s a not good image, but that’s just me…the dress I actually found was up high front and back, and the skirt was a nice length in front and back…I’ve got a way to go before I get really high in competition…just trying to get my dad to let me compete is hard at this moment…I don’t want to bum you guys out, but I’m not doing triples yet…I’m working on single jumps…I started skating last Nov. (2004) Luckily I’m advancing really quickly…it’s kind of funny, but it seems every time I go to practice or to a lesson, I master something new…I’m working on doing a sit spin (I can do a scratch) I can almost do a full toe-loop… and I’m working on doing an axel, salcow (that’s like impossible…) and stuff like that…all singles, but I’m trying to advance really quickly. I would like to get to the olympics…you guys have put a bit more confidence in me and to make me push harder to do well. You guys could pray for me…if you want…but I’m glad at what you guys are saying about the dresses…Please continue to respond!!! :smiley:

[quote=mercygate]How old are you and at what level are you skating? If you are a serious USFSA regional competitor, why don’t you try to contact Tara Lipinski? She is (as you know) a beautiful skater, Catholic, and devoted to St. Therese of Lisieux . . . I’ll bet she would have great advice.

I’m not suggesting that if you are at a lower level you should NOT contact her but she probably gets tons of mail, and might be a little more likely to respond to a serious skater.

Since practice dresses are pretty much “covered,” I assume you are concerned about competition dresses. My advice would be just to keep your behind cheeks covered by the “pants” (although the hip can be cut “high” to lengthen your leg line). Don’t go with anything in two pieces, and maybe stay away from those plunging necks and backs. You can be sophisticated and still be modest. Beadwork goes a long way toward jazzing up a dress. But the most important thing is to land firmly, with you back arched and on a good clean edge!

Figure skating used to be such an elegant sport! It seems to have gone noisy and vulgar lately – but maybe you’re the girl to bring it back to its beauty!

[/quote]

I’m 13 and I’m in Gamma (just passed Beta), though I am working on jumps and spins…my instructor has me working on more advanced stuff once I’ve mastered everything in that class that I will be tested on. (I started in Nov of 2004 as I said in my last post) I would love to change the sport around if I can! We’ll see what I can do. :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=mercygate]How old are you and at what level are you skating? If you are a serious USFSA regional competitor, why don’t you try to contact Tara Lipinski? She is (as you know) a beautiful skater, Catholic, and devoted to St. Therese of Lisieux . . . I’ll bet she would have great advice.

[/quote]

I’m 13 and I’m in Gamma (just passed Beta), though I am working on jumps and spins…my instructor has me working on more advanced stuff once I’ve mastered everything in that class that I will be tested on. (I started in Nov of 2004 as I said in my last post) I would love to change the sport around if I can! We’ll see what I can do. :smiley: :smiley: By the way, right now I’m pretty much skating in jeans… :slight_smile:

My daughter is a juvenile level USFSA competitor.

She wears dresses that are elegant, with high collars and with long sleeves, sometimes with frills at the cuffs that move nicely in her spins and especially in her spirals. Like you, the “flesh colored” material is just not part of her look (praise the Lord!!)

She wears light skirts, a tad longer than most, that are lovely in spins. They do need some practice in jumps (she’s finally mastered her double salchow and is working on her double axel) to keep them from getting in the way. So she practices a lot in her competition dresses.

Her butt is covered, not too tightly.

The main thing is that I’ve managed to convince her coach that the “come hither” “sexy” suggestive moves are out – completely out – of any and all programs. That’s working – she concentrates on technical excellence, not glitzy showmanship.

She’s an athletic skater – not particularly an artist – so that’s not hard to keep out of her programs.

Show your technical excellence – don’t strut your stuff – and you’ll be fine.

[quote=khkhk]I’m 13 and I’m in Gamma (just passed Beta), though I am working on jumps and spins…my instructor has me working on more advanced stuff once I’ve mastered everything in that class that I will be tested on. (I started in Nov of 2004 as I said in my last post) I would love to change the sport around if I can! We’ll see what I can do. :smiley: :smiley: By the way, right now I’m pretty much skating in jeans… :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Forget about the Olympics for now! Just have fun. Anyway, you’re skating in ISIA, and its the USFSA that puts you on the Olympic track. Thirteen is also kind of late to begin for “big time” skating but that doesn’t mean you can’t do GREAT stuff and have a LOT of fun. I’m also not convinced that big time skating is a very good way to live. Skating is ONLY for the elite. (Heck! I started at age 45 and was working on my Axel on my 50th birthday.)

And do get yourself a practice outfit – stirrup leggings and a skating skirt. You can wear any turtleneck & sweater with that (I recommend black because it goes with everything). Lycra is the greatest invention in the world for skating. I guarantee you will feel a difference in your skating when you are in skating clothes.

You go, Girl

Ok!! :smiley: I will get a practice outfit…that would help alot I’m sure. It’s funny, but I know Fumie Suguri started skating at age 13 and she placed 5th at the olympics…but your right I shouldn’t think about the olympics for now…I think my family might go insane with me practicing on the tile floor for spins and jumping where there’s room…lol! :smiley:

[quote=khkhk]Ok!! :smiley: I will get a practice outfit…that would help alot I’m sure. It’s funny, but I know Fumie Suguri started skating at age 13 and she placed 5th at the olympics…but your right I shouldn’t think about the olympics for now…I think my family might go insane with me practicing on the tile floor for spins and jumping where there’s room…lol! :smiley:
[/quote]

Oops! Typo in my post! I mean “Skating ISN’T only for the elite!”

And DO practice those spins and jumps off-ice. Practicing spins builds balance. But man! Those Salchows & Axels! Gotta have ice for those because you’re lifting off a moving edge.

[quote=mercygate]Oops! Typo in my post! I mean “Skating ISN’T only for the elite!”

And DO practice those spins and jumps off-ice. Practicing spins builds balance. But man! Those Salchows & Axels! Gotta have ice for those because you’re lifting off a moving edge.
[/quote]

Salchows are almost impossible for me at the moment. My 3-turn needs to be a bit more stable…I think…the axel seems easier because it is like doing a waltz jump…just add a full rotation to the waltz jump and you’ve got an axel. (haven’t attempted though)
:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.