Question about mortal sin

Hello, not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes.

A quick question that has been bugging me off and on for quite a while: Let’s say someone commits a mortal sin. He realizes it, and obviously wants to go to confession as soon as possible, but won’t be able to for a couple of days. Assuming that being in a state of mortal sin is to be cut off from God’s grace, what is it that prompts him to go to confession? Also, if one is cut off from God’s grace, what kind of prayers can he say? While he can always pray to our lady and to the saints, can he also pray to Jesus and the Father? This is what I am confused about. If one is not in a state of grace, does Jesus listen? Answer our prayers? Thanks for any light someone can shed on this.

Ishii

I would say, God’s infinite Love and Mercy for sinners… is what would prompt us to seek the Sacrament of Reconciliation, in these circumstances. While we might be in the state of mortal sin… God still loves us, and desires our return to Him. God bless.

I like to apply the example of the Good Sheperd to my own self (when I can). Though I may have strayed from the rest of the flock and find myself entrapped among the thorns and rocks, Our Lord continually seeks me. Even if, on the way back the flock, I manage to kick and scream and bite until I manage to find myself once more back among the thorns, Our Lord patiently comes and picks me right back up.

The things which innerly urges me to make a good confession is to notice that the thorns and rocks don’t make good spiritual food unlike the green grass which Our Good Sheperd is ready to give us. Seeing that he is, indeed, the Good Sheperd makes it so that I admit with great relief that I became lost and was momentarily stranded.

Being in a state of mortal sin means we have turned away from God, not that He has turned away from us. It’s like a teenager fighting with his/her parents. The parents are trying to help their child, whom they love dearly - they don’t stop trying just because their teenager is doing every obnoxious, self-damaging thing they can! And of course when the obnoxious teenager returns in the next morning with a hangover, wishing he/she hadn’t snuck out to that party those same parents are sitll very much wanting to help the child they help so much.

Also, remember Our Lord tells us in the Gospel that He came to save sinners, in the same way a hospital cures the sick, not those who need no curing - to paraphrase things.

All good things come from God, no matter how messed up we’ve made our lives. He will always love us, whether we care or not - whether we love Him or not!

In Christ’s Infinite Love and Mecy.
Stephen

Mortal sins cut us off from sanctifying grace, but God sends us what’s called actual grace to light a fire under us to get us to go to Confession.

You can say any prayers while in a state of mortal sin. God listens to us and loves us at all times, and like the father of the prodigal son, waits for our return.

At Baptism, we all receive the Theological Virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity. Without defining them here, one in mortal sin loses the Theological Virtue of Charity, which is love. It is the Theological virtues of Faith and Hope that prompt and lead us back to confession.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.