Question about my brothers

Both of my brothers married non-Catholic women and both were married outside the Church. They are both now lapsed Catholics.

Can my brothers still come back to the Church and receive Communion? Or would they have to have their marriages convalidated first?

thanks

They are living in serious sin, so they should not receive Communion until they go to Confession. Even so, they would have to change their living situation. They either do not live with their spouse, or they promise to live as brother and sister.

Yes.

[quote="nancymarie, post:1, topic:234598"]
Both of my brothers married non-Catholic women and both were married outside the Church. They are both now lapsed Catholics.

Can my brothers still come back to the Church and receive Communion? Or would they have to have their marriages convalidated first?

thanks

[/quote]

a person in this situation, a Catholic who married a non-Catholic outside Church laws and ceased practicing the faith, would need to go to confession and get pastoral direction from their priest, which would no doubt include having the marriage convalidated after appropriate preparation, including needed dispensations, and sometimes living "as brother and sister" until that time so that he might return to the sacraments. If unwilling to do that (and the wife would have to agree) he would make confession and return to communion just before or after the convalidation.

Your brother needs to speak to his priest. There is nothing you can do for him in this situation except pray.

As a quick clarification, there is nothing wrong with your brothers attending mass in their present state, just that they cannot receive communion as they are in a constant state of sin.

Thanks you for the clarification.

Both have children and have been married for 20 + years.

I can only pray for them.

I think it is a good thing that both of the OP's brothers are in long term marriages, that are blessed with children.

From the Catholic perspective, yes, it would be better if they could get their marriages invalidated in the Church.

Catholic sacramental marriage is considered the ideal. None of us are perfect, though.

I do not think of people living without the ideal of perfect sacramental marriage to be sinners. Rather, they are just people who are doing their best to have a family life.

I should add that both men are wonderful, loving husbands and fathers and we thank God for that..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.