Question about NFP use

I have been married for 16 years, and my husband and I have used NFP for all these years. We have two children, 10 and 7.

I was listening to a podcast of Catholic Answers Live (just found it, glad I did!) today, and the host (I think it was him, might have been his guest) was talking about how some people just use NFP as another form of birth control, and that isn’t the way the Church intends it to be used. That got me thinking. I thought that as long as we were still open to the possibility of conceiving, meaning not using anything to prevent pregnancy, then we were still within what the Church teaches. Am I wrong?

We have reasons for not wanting more children (economic, my history of depression getting much worse after my second child was born, and now my age - 40, etc), and sincerely feel our family is complete. We avoid the times when I am fertile. Truthfully, it’s not hard to do, because we have neither of us had huge libidos! :slight_smile: But have we been doing something wrong in using it to prevent pregnancy? I’m confused now.

As long as you are prayerfully considering those reasons and possible solutions before deciding upon postponing a child then you are good.

We do indeed carefully and prayerfully consider these things. Thank you for your help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.