Question about our holy father Benedict XVI and communion as been done at the neocatechumenal way!

I hope that someone can help me with the following question:

I read that our holy father Benedict XVI would prefer to distribute communion on the tongue and to people who are kneeling, which is great to hear, and as i understand it rightly that we can receive the communion either on the tongue or in the hand.

But i also read that our holy father confirmed the neocatechumenal way and sees this the NW as a gift of the Holy Spirit, so our holy father is very supportive and positive of the NC.

In our church in the Netherlands they have also a neocatechumenal way group and what i understood is that they only give communion in the hand and not on the tongue.

First of all, i don’t understand how our holy father whom refers and holds dearly to communion in the tongue, confirmed the NC whom only practise communion in the hand while sitting and were you can’t take communion in the tongue while kneeling.

Any thoughts ?

But i also read that our holy father confirmed the neocatechumenal way and sees this the NW as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

I am not familiar with this group, but I recommend that you always be careful in how you understand these types of claims.

In some cases, the Holy Father may praise some small aspect of a group’s ministry, or merely grant a Papal audience to leaders of a particular group. Some groups will then imply that the Pope has thus given his support to the group, including other teachings and practices that weren’t ever discussed with the Holy Father. The claim is very thin.

FWIW, this is the Church’s policy on Eucharistic reception:

[92.] Although each of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, at his choice, (Cf. Missale Romanum, Institutio Generalis, n. 161.) if any communicant should wish to receive the Sacrament in the hand, in areas where the Bishops’ Conference with the recognition of the Apostolic See has given permission, the sacred host is to be administered to him or her. However, special care should be taken to ensure that the host is consumed by the communicant in the presence of the minister, so that no one goes away carrying the Eucharistic species in his hand. If there is a risk of profanation, then Holy Communion should not be given in the hand to the faithful (Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Dubium: Notitiae 35 (1999) pp. 160-161).

[104.] The communicant must not be permitted to intinct the host himself in the chalice, nor to receive the intincted host in the hand. As for the host to be used for the intinction, it should be made of valid matter, also consecrated; it is altogether forbidden to use non-consecrated bread or other matter.
[RIGHT]Congregation for Divine Worship, Redemptionis Sacramentum[/RIGHT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.