Question about parish membership

I was wondering if you and your parents have attended a certain parish when you were a kid and you received your first communion, sacrament of confirmation, and went to CCD at that parish all when you used to be in school. I was wondering, do you still remain a registered member of that parish when you reach 18 years of age or are you required to have a separate registration from that of your parents' to still be counted as a registered member of the parish or will your registration be inherited and not have to fill out a registration form? I never was advised by my parish whether or not if I needed to fill out a registration form at the time of my 18th birthday (which was way back in the year 1998) and I assumed that I will still remain a registered member after my 18th birthday.

[quote="Bashful, post:1, topic:336630"]
I was wondering if you and your parents have attended a certain parish when you were a kid and you received your first communion, sacrament of confirmation, and went to CCD at that parish all when you used to be in school. I was wondering, do you still remain a registered member of that parish when you reach 18 years of age or are you required to have a separate registration from that of your parents' to still be counted as a registered member of the parish or will your registration be inherited and not have to fill out a registration form? I never was advised by my parish whether or not if I needed to fill out a registration form at the time of my 18th birthday (which was way back in the year 1998) and I assumed that I will still remain a registered member after my 18th birthday.

[/quote]

Are you still living within the parish's boundaries? Then you are a member of the parish whether you officially register or not. If you've moved out of your parents' home you may want to let the parish know your new address but if you're still living at home there is nothing you need to do.

Some parishes don't have such a thing as 'registration'. My parish certainly doesn't as we have a transient population, including military personnel sent here on 2 & 3 year postings, and we're responsible for all Catholics in the town. If we become aware that someone is Catholic we add them to the parish roll because, well, they're our parishioners. They are denied nothing if they show up out of the blue looking for baptism or marriage. I'm sure many arrive here thinking there is a military parish but there hasn't been a Catholic chaplain on the Base for the last 16 years.

If a family has 10 kids (OK, I'm daydreaming here) the kids get their own listing when they move out of their parents' home or they request their own envelopes. We don't issue envelopes to anyone without their request since unused envelopes are an expense we're not willing to incur.

It's an administrative issue. The only accurate answer will come from your pastor.

[quote="Bashful, post:1, topic:336630"]

[/quote]

If you are still living with your parents and have the same address as when you were 18 you don't have to register on your own (you are part of their household). If you have moved or have your own family then you need to register at the new parish (or the old one if you live in the boundaries).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.