Question about people's experience of faith

Hi :slight_smile:

I can see that there are many people who are not Catholic but feel completely sure that their beliefs are true. Do you think that it is possible for someone to feel TOTALLY sure of a belief, if the belief is wrong? does God try to point them towards the truth and they just ignore Him, or do they not feel any doubts? what do you think? :confused:

This happens a lot…a whole lot. It’s the influence of evil deceiving us…the age-old phenomenon of deception by the evil one.

God will always try to point people toward Truth, while the evil one points to a skewed version of truth. Sure people can doubt or they can totally ignore God, because it displeases them to look at truth. Many people have ears but they will not listen.

That’s why discernment is key.

so then how do we discern? (let’s say someone doesn’t yet fully believe in Catholicism… how would they tell if it’s the truth or not)

One test of truth is history. If it hapened and was recorded then it is true. So go back into history to review the points of beginning for the Catholic church. Does it have a history? Who started it? When did it start? Is there a lineage from today’s Pope all the way back to Jesus - that is unbroken and continuous - not adultered by man?

Another test of truth is longevity. The truth cannot be destroyed. It can be spun into nonesense. It can be colored with lies and falshoods. It can be denied and attacked, but if it is true, it will not be destroyed. It will continue because the truth attracts people of reason. They recognize it and desire it. So, how long has Catholicism been around. Has it been lied about, attacked, spun into nonesense and yet still is exists?

I would suggest you go to www.salvationhistory.com which is the web site for Scot Hahn and obtain some of his CD’s. He was a protestant minister before converting to the Catholic Faith and he does a remarkable job in explaining Catholicism.

I think your questions rightly highlights the need of a visible church to help make decisions in morals and belief. I feel that there are many christians who strongly believe that A is really X. Where as there are other christians who strongly believe that A is really Y. Hence, this is precisely why we need a visible church to help us in understanding all truth.

God impels; He does not compel. Of course it is true for nonCatholics to feel completely sure of their beliefs, and it is also possible (and quite probable) for someone to feel totally sure of a belief, even when it is wrong. Example in point: Catholics or nonCatholics who are so-called “pro-choice” or who are pro-aborts. They know what the Church teaches; they know what the commandment says, but they sadly choose to ignore both.

Those that ‘embrace’ the pro-abort stance I do not believe feel any doubts because they are directed by a misinformed conscience which deadens one to the Truth. You can only feel doubt or not being sure if there is Grace. When you are deadened to Truth, you lose your salvation because all of your decisions are based on a spiritual life which ceases to exist.

I would say pray a lot. St. John Vianney told a woman to pray and fast for 15 days. Ask the Lord for help with discernment.

Right before my Confirmation, I did some research on Catholicism. I “totally felt” that my beliefs were true, but I know that feelings, just like looks, can be deceiving. That’s part of the reason most marriages end in divorce these days. They base their love on feelings. When the feeling’s gone, there goes the marriage. Others feel spiritual, supernatural, ecstasy,… blah, blah, blah…
Some of these experiences are valid, others aren’t. The point is, they were basing the salvation of their souls on a feeling.
Anyway… one of the books I read was Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberley Hahn. Patrick Madrid’s stuff is usually pretty good too. Along with the other posts before I started babbling. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.