? Question about placement of elements of Liturgy

Hi,

To start off, I’m not “scandalized” by a few things being done differently from one place to the next. But, I was under the impression that like the readings and all the “steps” or “order of worship” were consistent from parish to parish. I’m not talking about doing “optional readings” or different preface prayers or Eucharistic prayers. I understand all that.

I’m not nieve, I know there’s abuses, but generally speaking, well, here’s a for instance…

I was watching EWTN the other day, and the Creed was said at a different place than where it’s put in the missal that my local parish uses. Sometimes during the week, it may be customary to not even recite the Creed, and to have shorter services for whatever reason. But I thought that there was more consistency than that, at least among faithful parishes.

Any help, or do you need more info on what I’m asking about?

At my parish, we recite the Creed after a moment of silence after the homily. It wasn’t there at EWTN.

What wasn’t there, the homily or the moment of silence? A pause after the homily for contemplation is a continuation of the homily, i.e., part of the interruption of the official order of service, and is not required.

The Creed is only appropriate to Sundays and some feasts. It is or at least was normal to omit it entirely on many weekdays.

When was the creed? (You seem to be suggesting it was recited.) As another poster has said it is not usually necessary to recite the creed except on Sundays.

If it was a Sunday and some other rite was being celebrated during the Mass, (like the scrutinies,) then the creed may have been replaced by some other kind of profession of faith or moved slightlyin accordance with the extra rite.

Also, the chapel at on EWTN follows a slightly different calendar than the universal one because they are using the Franciscan Calendar. But as was said above the Creed is only recited on Solemnities or Feast of Our Lord so normal (ferial) weekdays and particular saints’ days will not have the Creed unless called for by local custom because of a particular devotion to that saint.

[quote=mosher]Also, the chapel at on EWTN follows a slightly different calendar than the universal one because they are using the Franciscan Calendar. But as was said above the Creed is only recited on Solemnities or Feast of Our Lord so normal (ferial) weekdays and particular saints’ days will not have the Creed unless called for by local custom because of a particular devotion to that saint.
[/quote]

Well I’m for one just not gonna stand for it!!**

No, I’m kidding, I understand. You know, I was thinking, that was a weekday service I think, and from going to some Wed. night services at the local parish, we don’t recite the Creed then, and usually only have 3 readings if I remember right/rite.

Well, I guess that about answers my question. I would have asked the priest tonight at RCIA, but he was very busy, plus we had a marriage at the end of class, so plenty going on!!

I can ask the priest sometime about the rest, that helps, thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.