Question about prayers...

I have been asking a sign from God if I should be in a romantic relationship or not for quite some time. My question is, why is it that I do not see any signs?

Ask an Apologist - Catholic Answers Forums
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=35128
Michelle Arnold

http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Can I ask God for a sign?

Yes, asking for a sign is permissible. Indeed, Archbishop Fulton Sheen counseled that the more specific the sign requested, the better. That said, this presumes that one does not treat the matter in a superstitious way (cf. CCC 2111).

Signs are special favors from God, and may not be given even when requested.

God usually reveals his will in less dramatic ways (e.g., through openness to correction or advice from mentors; through prudential consideration of pros and cons; through persistence in the sacraments, prayer, and meditation) and such ordinary means of discerning God's will should never be superceded by a desire for signs and wonders. At its best, the gift of a sign is confirmation of the results of employing the ordinary means of discerning God's will and is never a replacement for them.

Every one of your ancestors was involved in such a relationship. Every single one, over hundred of millions of years. How's that for a sign?

Let’s just say that I tend to act like Thomas the Apostle in that he was asking for a sign.

Remeber that sometimes the “signs” are not the big things we want but the little things we need-

1 Kings 19
Then the LORD said: Go out and stand on the mountain before the LORD; the LORD will pass by.
There was a strong and violent wind rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the LORD—but the LORD was not in the wind;
after the wind, an earthquake—but the LORD was not in the earthquake;
after the earthquake, fire—but the LORD was not in the fire; after the fire, a light silent sound.
When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. A voice said to him, Why are you here, Elijah?

[quote="Crescentinus, post:1, topic:283582"]
I have been asking a sign from God if I should be in a romantic relationship or not for quite some time. My question is, why is it that I do not see any signs?

[/quote]

Maybe the Lord wants you to decide for yourself.

In my experience, I usually don't get answer or a sign from prayer until I am open and detached enough to accept any answer (rather than hoping for a particular answer).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.