Question about Purgatory

When Jesus returns on the last day everyone is caught up and raised up (the dead first) to Him. Are people in purgatory caught up as well? And do people who are alive and have not experienced purgatory go straight to Him there? How does purgatory fit in with Christ’s return. I hearda statement from a pastor on EWTN’s Web of Faith that sounded like purgatory was done then. I can’t remember the full statement but I immediately had this question mulling in my brain.

Here this will help. Theres another thread going also from an orthodox perspective.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcatholicherald.com%2Fstories%2FWhere-Does-the-Soul-Go-after-We-Die%2C6480&ei=lkmHVJ-3E8SiNtKUgrgO&usg=AFQjCNHfSpkjzxNLaVWJlwWtXPgqrYlqQA

Purgatory is outside of time.

So there is no bypassing it because of being alive at the end; you would simply do the Purgatory in your live body.

ICXC NIKA.

How do we know this? What scripture defines this? Not trying to argue … just seeking. Thanks!

I think on the last day some will be so terrified that they will die of fright, some will go to Hell and some to purgatory.

This might help to understand… While we are in our ‘human condition’ we are just not capable of being fully pure. We need to be purified by Christ to become like Christ and one body of CHrist. Remember that God is spirit…

John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth."

So we must become spirit, and leave our human bodies… and purified… (washed clean of any impurities of sin) because sin can’t exist in heaven for heaven is a place of light and pureness because it is where God dwells.

Rev 21:27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Some of the OT scriptures on it.

Exodus 32:32
But now, please forgive their sin–but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written."

Isaiah 52:1
Awake, awake, Zion, clothe yourself with strength! Put on your garments of splendor, Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again.

Ezekiel 44:9
This is what the Sovereign LORD says: No foreigner uncircumcised in heart and flesh is to enter my sanctuary, not even the foreigners who live among the Israelites.

So we must be purified by Our Lord… this is done by revealing all we have done in this life either good or bad so that it can be forgiven and we can become fully righteous and holy or “purified”. Like the refining of silver and gold… It’s melted down and impurities are taken out…

Malachi 3:3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

2 Cor 5:10 For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each may receive recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.

1 Corinthians 3:13
their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then shall he render unto every man according to his deeds.

So our sins and our good works will be revealed at the coming of man, not to condemn us but to purify us and make us holy. Jesus also warns that we will not leave ‘prison’ until we paid our last penny…

Does that help?

catholictreasury.info/books/treatise_on_purgatory/

Thank you. I will take those and study them. I’m a slow reader in my old age. :wink:

Thank you for your answers, Bible verses and links. They will help!

Purgatory ends at the second coming, as evidenced by 1 Thessalonians 15:16 *For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

The “dead in Christ” are the souls in Purgatory, who are being purified for entry into heaven.

Peace and all good!

You’re welcome! There are more scriptures on purgatory I just sited some of them. This link may also help you as well as the Catechism.

catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/is-purgatory-in-the-bible

Not meaning to be disagreeable but I don’t quite agree with it worded that way because there are already souls in heaven released from purgatory at the second coming. The dead then are all those in heaven and in purgatory but not all who are in heaven are in purgatory, just think about Mary and the Saints who intercedes for us in heaven, they are not in purgatory but are dead in Christ, meaning are in heaven already. What happens at the second coming is that those in heaven, and also purgatory will become one glorified body of Christ and will all receive their bodies so will be made whole. I remember one priest saying the soul cannot be removed from our bodies or something like that. We will be made whole yet transformed as one glorified Body of Christ. Granted this gets confusing and many struggle with this. I remember going to a class where many people were bewildered about it and this is how I came to understand it and what that scripture is saying about the resurrection of the body. To add this also to that scripture…1 Thess 15:17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

The last part 1 Thess 15:17 was added because St. Paul and the disciples thought the second coming would happen in their lifetime and St. Paul wanted to assure the others that they would be included.

piercedhearts.org/magisterium_church/splendor_truth/what_we_believe/what%20we%20believe_believe_after_death.htm

And that’s what happens at the resurrection of the body.

catholic.com/tracts/resurrection-of-the-body

No more Purgatory after the General Judgment at the end of time spedteacherita.

Death and the abode of the dead (Hades) is “thrown into the lake of fire”.

REVELATION 20:13-15 13 And the sea gave up the dead in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead in them, and all were judged by what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire; 15 and if any one’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

1st CORINTHIANS 15:24-26 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

And we can round this out with a couple of CCC statements too.

CCC 1023 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face:598

By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints . . . and other faithful who died after receiving Christ’s holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died, . . . or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death, . . .) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without the mediation of any creature.599

CCC 1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.606 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:607

[INDENT]As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.608[/INDENT]

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Yes, certainly, there are souls in heaven who have already been purified (or died in grace), but those souls in heaven are not “dead in Christ” that St. Paul speaks of, but rather, very much alive in Christ.

Peace and all good!

But if it is as you say, those in purgatory are also very much ‘alive in Christ’ they just need purifying. So I disagree, it is referring to those people who have died and are awaiting their bodies at the Resurrection of the Body. This is exactly the reaction people had when they had questions. They didn’t get it…

Here look at the CCC

III. THE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

1030 All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.