Question about readings, Missals and the EF Mass

A priest friend of mine gave me one of those big Daily Roman Missals that contains the readings for every Mass in an entire year. It’s the old translation, but I don’t care because I use it for lectio divina.

I go to the EF Mass, and the readings are written in English in the bulletin, so I’ve never actually used my Missal on a Sunday for prayer at home. I just use the bulletin. But today I decided to use the Missal and I realized that the readings for today written in the bulletin are different than the readings for today in the Missal. What’s going on here…??

What year is the missal? What were the two different Gospels? At the Mass I went to (& in my hand missal) we observed the 7th Sun. after Pentecost. The Gospel was “Beware of false prophets … Every tree bringeth forth good fruit,” &c. (Matt. 7:15-21).

The reading in the bulletin is the same as the one you quoted, and the front of the bulletin says it’s the 7th Sunday after Pentecost, which brings up another question. Why does the bulletin say 7th Sunday after Pentecost when every liturgical calendar I’ve read says it’s the 17th Sunday of ordinary time. Just a different way of relaying the exact same information?

The reading in the Missal is Matthew 13:44-46 “Jesus said to his disciples: “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again,. . .When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.””.

Ah, that explains it. I thought we were dealing with two different readings within the EF.

Yeah the readings were revamped after Vatican II, I believe the OF is on a three-year cycle of readings. Some of the readings stayed more or less the same, but many (along with feast days) were changed, and many were added.

So if you go to an EF (which uses the 1962 missal), you’ll be getting the one-year-cycle readings that were in use before Vatican II. The most important feast days (Easter, Christmas, etc.) will be the same, but in the new calendar, some old feasts are gone, some are just moved to a different date, and there are new feasts as well (e.g. Jan 1 Mother of God). The ranking system is different, too. More info. can be provided if you wish.

Bottom line: what you want is a 1962 daily missal. You can get one from Baronius Press for around $60.

Oooh! Okay thanks for clearing that up for me. I converted a couple years ago and still feel like I know basically nothing about the Catholic faith. sigh

So much to learn.

I’d love more info. If you know of a good source to learn more please let me know.

You’re right, I do want that Missal. But I don’t have extra money to spend right now. For months I didn’t have a written copy of the daily readings for prayer, and my priest asked why I don’t just swipe one of the $2 monthly ones like everyone else does. After telling him I don’t want to steal from a church he generously gave me his old one. God bless him, he’s very kind. I’m happy to have it.

I’ll send you a private message with more detailed information.

Check ebay. You might be able to get a used one a little cheaper.

If money is tight, consider instead the St. Edmund Campion Missal and Hymnal, which is excellent quality with gorgeous illuminations, a full Kyriale, and large print. It’s bulky for a Missal, but also extremely inexpensive – the book itself + S&H was about $25 for me.

ccwatershed.org/Campion/

Don’t sigh…that is what is so wonderful about our Faith. :thumbsup: There are so many resources out there. Here is one that you might enjoy…

catechismclass.com

You can purchase specific lessons or whole courses.

Then it’s quite possible two different translations are given. If one of them is the Knox translation, for example, it will differ quite a lot with the one shown in the missal.

The Latin is still the authoritative. Need that to make comparisons with.

I have a copy and I think I’m going to bring it to Mass next time, bulky or not. :slight_smile:

Never heard of this Missal! Thanks! I’m assuming it’s shipped out of America, and seeing as I don’t live in the USA, shipping might be ridiculous. Buuut I’m still going to look into it. Thank you!!!

Yes, I think it ships from Oregon if I remember right, though they may have a new distributor. Well, it’s a steal at any price short of $200. :slight_smile:

I agree with getting one of these. Our parish has about 150 of them for people to use during Mass, and they are beautiful. The only thing lacking, however, are the daily Mass readings/collects/graduals/etc. One bonus, though, is the collection of hymns and prayers at the end of the book.

If you’re looking for a good missal with daily Mass readings, then here are some other suggestions: Baronius Press, New Marian (this is what I use, mainly because I like the before/after Communion prayers), St. Joseph’s, Angelus Press, Fr. Lasance, or St. Andrew’s.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.