Question about receiving the Chalice of Blood

What do you do when you receive the Chalice of Blood? Doesn't some of the Blood get on your lips? Surely it wouldn't be right to wipe your lips off afterwords. So, what do you do about the Blood that stays on your lips?

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to ask.

One needs to be careful when receiving from the cup. Take the tiniest sip that you can, in a careful fashion. And if necessary, then discretely lick the lips once one is back in the pew.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:324583"]
One needs to be careful when receiving from the cup. Take the tiniest sip that you can, in a careful fashion. And if necessary, then discretely lick the lips once one is back in the pew.

[/quote]

But wouldn't there still be traces of the Blood on your tongue? Wouldn't licking just spread the Blood some more?

[quote="Zenkai, post:3, topic:324583"]
But wouldn't there still be traces of the Blood on your tongue? Wouldn't licking just spread the Blood some more?

[/quote]

You're scrupulous, I take it? :)

You swallow the Blood after you receive. Traces are insignificant.

Too scrupulous by a million miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry about that. I have never seen anyone wipe their mouth after receiving the blood of christ.

[quote="ajecphotos, post:5, topic:324583"]
Too scrupulous by a million miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry about that. I have never seen anyone wipe their mouth after receiving the blood of christ.

[/quote]

it impossible for to see because either too busy singing a hymn, reading my book or simply just dont look at what people do at that moment and thankfully I have only literally choaked on it once because went down the wrong way. Sadly I was on the Altar that day and couldn't help but cough away. They were in fact very lucky I kept it all in :blush: But just do like you would do at a dinner party because sometimes we just need to clean our lips of either host or chalice and number of times the host has got stuck. And felt like I was forever chewing one mass the first time i was just the only person +priest so he gave me a huge chunck of his own and naturally it went straight to the roof of my mouth and no one was next to me to give me time to pull it away with my tongue etc.... these things happen and you behave just as you would do within a dinner party and need to sort it out:thumbsup:

Well, i give out the body and blood at my parish and i have never seen anyone wipe their lips afterwards. Lick the lips is fine.

[quote="Zenkai, post:3, topic:324583"]

[/quote]

This wouldn't be different from having traces of His Sacred Body on your tongue even if you don't chew.
If I feel any need I will lick my lips.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:324583"]
Take the tiniest sip that you can

[/quote]

This isn't what the Church calls for. The GIRM states "Each communicant drinks a little from the chalice" (#286). This seems to call for prudence: clearly, the idea is not to drink so much that others are denied the opportunity to receive the Precious Blood; on the other hand, the Church is not calling for communicants to "take the tiniest sip" possible.

[quote="Gorgias, post:9, topic:324583"]
This isn't what the Church calls for. The GIRM states "Each communicant drinks a little from the chalice" (#286). This seems to call for prudence: clearly, the idea is not to drink so much that others are denied the opportunity to receive the Precious Blood; on the other hand, the Church is not calling for communicants to "take the tiniest sip" possible.

[/quote]

It's because of the scruples that I advised this. Also because some people seem to think it's up to them to drain the cup - I have literally seen someone come up and do that, and they weren't the last in line, either.

If the OP is afraid of getting any of the Precious Blood on his/her lips, then tuck the tips and take a tiny sip.

Or, you don't have to receive from the cup at all. You can just receive the Eucharist and you've received the totality of Jesus.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:10, topic:324583"]
It's because of the scruples that I advised this.

[/quote]

On the other hand, "take the tiniest sip possible" might not be the best advice to give a person with scruples -- every time they walk away from the communion line, they might be torturing themselves: "was that the tiniest sip I could possibly have taken? what if I could've taken just a little less? have I sinned?!?!?" ;)

[quote="Gorgias, post:11, topic:324583"]
On the other hand, "take the tiniest sip possible" might not be the best advice to give a person with scruples -- every time they walk away from the communion line, they might be torturing themselves: "was that the tiniest sip I could possibly have taken? what if I could've taken just a little less? have I sinned?!?!?" ;)

[/quote]

could you please take this battle you are seemingly having to private messages as it not exactly helpful to the opening poster especially if they are scruplelous and haven't thought about issues you are throwing up making their situation all the more difficult as they panic about ideas you are giving them even if not to the opening poster, to anyone with scruples who may be reading...

Peace be with you
xxx

[quote="englishredrose, post:12, topic:324583"]
could you please take this battle you are seemingly having

[/quote]

battle? no battle here. I'm simply stating that the assertion isn't quite what the Church teaches, and that further, it may be counter-productive. No battle here. (A difference of opinion, without a doubt -- but if we outlawed differences of opinion around here, then there'd be no 'forum' to speak of! ;) )

as they panic about ideas you are giving them

thank you for proving my point. the advice provided can be counter-productive, as you point out. :thumbsup:

If you are so worried about it I have a very simple solution.

Don't do it!:thumbsup:

No muss, no fuss, no loss of graces received nothing at all wrong about not receiving the Precious Blood..

Its a win win situation.:thumbsup:

The enzymes in the saliva will digest any trace of the Body and/or Blood of Christ. Once the molecules are broken down it ceases to be the Body and Blood of Christ. There is no need to worry about such minute traces. God made us and has it covered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.