Question about receiving the Eucharist at a Latin Mass

I’m on vacation in about a month. At our parish’s Easter Vigil, I’m going to be able to receive the Eucharist. I want to go to a Latin Mass at a parish up in Dayton just to see what it’s like. Of course, I want to receive our Lord there, too.

Question: Do I have to clear it with the Dayton parish first?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

As long as the Dayton parish is Catholic, and you are Catholic, you are free to receive. You don’t have to be “specially trained” to receive at a Mass in Latin any more than you do to receive the Eucharist at a Mass in Swahili or French. The EF and NO are different experiences – but the sacrifice is the same.

(Now, having said that, you may want to learn a little bit about the expectations and the flow of a Latin Mass before attending – you will be less confused that way.)

It’s definitely Catholic. Here’s the link.

Ah…

Excellent advice. :wink: Thank you. :slight_smile:

Be aware that you will kneel at the altar rail and receive on the tongue. You do not reply “Amen” to the priest’s words.

Oh?

Thank you for the reply. :slight_smile:

oh it’s FSSP! :slight_smile: that’s wonderful! :slight_smile:

I went to a Latin Mass a while ago and really enjoyed it!! I wished so much that I could receive the Eucharist, but I’m entering the Church this Easter too. Once I’m Catholic, I plan on going to Latin Mass again and receive the Eucharist this time! lol

I know. :wink: I’m G-Com at the other Christian board you go to. The one which was offline for the last day.

No way!!! :smiley: I’d never have guessed! that’s so funny actually :slight_smile:

Yup. I’m like that little red and white can of whatever it is in the back of your spice cupboard that’s been around since the LBJ administration.

you lost me there :wink:

It’s a joke. :wink: I never go away. I’m just there no matter what.

sanctamissa.org/en/
This is a tutorial on the Tridentine Mass. I would recommend reading through it, just to get a feel of it. The parish will most likely have a red booklet that you will use.

However, honestly, I would advise you to not use the booklet, read the website beforehand, pray, and “absorb” the EF.

It is quite amazing.

The FSSP is also wonderful.

Thank you for that link. There’s lots of relevant information.

Forgive me if this is covered at that site, but is there a provision for older folks or people with leg problems who have difficulty kneeling?

Before placing the Host on your tongue, the priest says Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen. He says the Amen for you.

The translation is : May the Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ keep your soul unto life everlasting. Amen

I would suggest calling the pastor ahead of time, and asking him?

I’ve been to Mass with old people, and I’ve never noticed?

I trust he’ll have some idea on what to do. FSSP is :thumbsup:

I go there to the TLM at Our Lady of the Rosary in Dayton whenever I can.

The chaplain is a great priest!!! Excellent sermons!!!

If you don’t want to go all the way to Dayton, I believe that the chaplain also travels to Sacred Heart in the Camp Hill section of Cincinnati, 2733 Massachusetts Ave, for an 11:30 AM Traditional Latin Mass.

Hope you make it to one of these venues.

At our TLM there are people who for whatever reason cannot kneel at the rail. There has never been a problem with them receiving, on the tongue of course, while standing. As some one suggested, don’t hesitate to ask the priest about this before hand.

Actually, the Dayton parish is the one I was thinking about going to until you mentioned the one in Cincinnati. I am much more familiar with the latter than the former. And there’s not a lot of difference in the distances from my home, which is essentially halfway between them as the crow flies.

It’s not a constant thing. It’s just that when it rains my knees ache. The left one especially. And I don’t like kneeling on hard surfaces no matter what. :eek:

Not trying to make excuses here.

Maybe it was just me, but at my first Latin Mass, I was so struck by the reverence, the beauty, the language, and everything else that I did not feel worthy to receive. Even though I had gone to Confession the day before. Maybe my penance of sitting in front of the Blessed Sacrament and thinking about how much God loves me did not seem sufficient.

The Extraordinary form is the most perfect thing, this side of Heaven!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.