Question About Reception in a Specific Instance

Hi everyone, this may seem like an odd question, but would it be wrong to choose not to receive the Eucharist to avoid a situation like the following? I choose to receive on the tongue, and I have never had any problems with this except with one priest. The first time it happened he nearly dropped the Eucharist while placing it on my tongue, and the second time he had to catch it in his hands. I don't know why this problem always occurs with this one priest, but if he's the only person distributing at that Mass, would that be a good reason not to receive?

It's just an awful situation to go through and I always feel so guilty after it happens, so what do you think?

No, that is not a good reason at all. Just receive in the hand when you receive from this priest, which is a perfectly acceptable manner of receiving the Eucharist.

The only time you have to receive is during the Easter vigil, so you can choose not to receive with a clear conscience.

Let me ask though, why would you deny yourself the Lord over something so trivial (yes, I said it, trivial, go ahead and flame away) as hand or mouth? Either way in the US if fine, but what is more important? That we receive the Lord or the manner in which we receive him if the latter is done reverently? Our internal disposition or our external demeanor if the latter is done reverenlty?

[quote="TheDoctor, post:3, topic:287047"]
The only time you have to receive is during the Easter vigil,

[/quote]

Not exactly. There is only a need to receive during the Easter season.

Can. 920 §1. After being initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year. §2. This precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at another time during the year.

[quote="marty1818, post:4, topic:287047"]
Not exactly. There is only a need to receive during the Easter season.

Can. 920 §1. After being initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year. §2. This precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at another time during the year.

[/quote]

You are correct sir. My mind thought "season" but my fingers wanted to type "vigil". They don't often listen to me...:D

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:287047"]
Hi everyone, this may seem like an odd question, but would it be wrong to choose not to receive the Eucharist to avoid a situation like the following? I choose to receive on the tongue, and I have never had any problems with this except with one priest. The first time it happened he nearly dropped the Eucharist while placing it on my tongue, and the second time he had to catch it in his hands. I don't know why this problem always occurs with this one priest, but if he's the only person distributing at that Mass, would that be a good reason not to receive?

It's just an awful situation to go through and I always feel so guilty after it happens, so what do you think?

[/quote]

Now if this is an issue that always happens you need to speak with the priest to see if there is something you can do to help. In my experience there are people who by the way they present themselves with very subtle differences can cause problems placing the host in your mouth. Not that it is wrong, just different. Check with the priest then if this is not rectified, go to another minister or skip. There is no requirement to receive every Mass.

[quote="Splagchnizomai, post:2, topic:287047"]
No, that is not a good reason at all. Just receive in the hand when you receive from this priest, which is a perfectly acceptable manner of receiving the Eucharist.

[/quote]

If a person is opposed to receiving on the hand it is not prudent to tell them simply receive on the hand. I do not receive on the hand any longer because it is my choice which is accepted and according to the Holy Father shall not be denied.

[quote="Lapey, post:6, topic:287047"]
If a person is opposed to receiving on the hand it is not prudent to tell them simply receive on the hand. I do not receive on the hand any longer because it is my choice which is accepted and according to the Holy Father shall not be denied.

[/quote]

I suppose if you need a reason to deny receiving the Real Presence, this would be one of the silliest reasons for doing so. I'm not sure prudent is the applicable here, though I could be wrong.

Doesn't the Holy Father also allow the faithful to receive on the hand AND the tongue? It is forbidden in either case? Does the Holy Father tell us to only receive according to our personal preferences?

[quote="Splagchnizomai, post:7, topic:287047"]
I suppose if you need a reason to deny receiving the Real Presence, this would be one of the silliest reasons for doing so. I'm not sure prudent is the applicable here, though I could be wrong.

Doesn't the Holy Father also allow the faithful to receive on the hand AND the tongue? It is forbidden in either case? Does the Holy Father tell us to only receive according to our personal preferences?

[/quote]

Who said anything about denying the RP???????

All I am saying is if a person desires to receive on the tongue and does not want to receive on the hand, don't tell them the easy fix is just receive on the hand. That is all.

And yes the Holy Father says both are acceptable neither is prohibited. I didn't say anything to the contrary. What's your point? :shrug:

We are not obligated to receive the Eucharist at every Mass we attend. We ARE obligated to attend the Mass on every Sunday and Holy days of obligation. If you do not wish to cause discomfort to the Priest or yourself stay back and make a pius 'Spiritual Communion'.

[quote="Lapey, post:8, topic:287047"]
Who said anything about denying the RP???????

[/quote]

Deny receiving the RP. Not deny RP.

In the first instance (to deny receiving), one is being precious about their own predilections. There are places in the world where being Catholic means you are persecuted -- and even receiving the Eucharist is very difficult, due to political, social, etc pressures, if even possible. Here, we quibble about how we won't receive unless it is exactly in the manner that suits our particular reception aesthetic. We've become chalice sniffers.

In the second instance (to deny), it is against fundamental Catholic belief.

[quote="Splagchnizomai, post:10, topic:287047"]
Deny receiving the RP. Not deny RP.

In the first instance (to deny receiving), one is being precious about their own predilections. There are places in the world where being Catholic means you are persecuted -- and even receiving the Eucharist is very difficult, due to political, social, etc pressures, if even possible. Here, we quibble about how we won't receive unless it is exactly in the manner that suits our particular reception aesthetic. We've become chalice sniffers.

In the second instance (to deny),To not receive is a choice not a denial. it is against fundamental Catholic beliefPlease site a document to back up your opinion..

[/quote]

Oh give me a break, you are not required to receive, there is no sin there is no wrong in not receiving. There is only a requirement of receiving once a year. Now please stop twisting words to make your ridiculous point.

Some do not agree and will not receive on the hand; this is acceptable, get over it. It is also acceptable to receive on the tongue while kneeling without being refused, got over that too.

The OP is about problems with one particular priest, there is nothing wrong and acceptable to not receive from this priest, just talk to him about it. That is all...thread has run its course.

[quote="Lapey, post:11, topic:287047"]
Oh give me a break, you are not required to receive, there is no sin there is no wrong in not receiving. There is only a requirement of receiving once a year. Now please stop twisting words to make your ridiculous point.

Some do not agree and will not receive on the hand; this is acceptable, get over it. It is also acceptable to receive on the tongue while kneeling without being refused, got over that too.

The OP is about problems with one particular priest, there is nothing wrong and acceptable to not receive from this priest, just talk to him about it. That is all...thread has run its course.

[/quote]

I think we are talking past each other here, and you appear to have some problems comprehending what I'm conveying. I'm not sure if this is just a general comprehension problem on your part, or that perhaps I need to do better in communicating. I'll put the blame on myself.

To deny the Real Presence (the dogma) is against Catholic teaching.

To deny receiving the Eucharist (which is the RP) in accordance to one's preferred method of receiving (mouth or hand) is just a silly personal quibble, though it is acceptable in the most legalistic interpretation of the canon law. I never claimed that the manner of receiving could be sinful -- this is your twisted interpretation of my words. :shrug:

I agree with you that this thread has run its course.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.