Question about retreat houses

I want to go on a weekend private retreat. The only catholic retreat house near my area charges $75 a night not including meals. I’ve never been on a retreat, but this seems a bit steep price wise to me. Is this the general price?
Another question I have that isn’t really related to the first is whether women’s communities ever let young women who have a vocation stay with them for a few days, to observe how they live. That is something I’d really like to do because I have a vocation, but do sometimes question it.
Thanks!

$75 a night is a good price, but since it doesn't include meals, what do they suggest you do? Dine out? Pack your own? Most of the retreat centers I've ever heard of include meals.

You might ask if you can do a barter: work in exchange of a reduced rate. I was employed at a retreat center one summer during college and they were very flexible like that. It was pretty simple: help dry dishes or pull a few weeds in return for meals and a reduced rate. Didn't interfere with your quiet time, either.

Most religious communities have some kind of 'come and see' set up where you can work with the sisters, observe their life and spirituality, and get help with your discernment. There was a time when I thought I might have a religious vocation, so I checked this out rather thoroughly.

Depending on where you live, prices for retreats may vary.
I have been mostly on the East Coast and can list several retreat houses, hermitages and monasteries that would accept retreatants.
Our Monastery in Brooklyn NY, www.BrooklynVisitationMonastery.org,
accepts women who are discerning a vocation OR women just simply looking for quiet time with the Lord. All our Visitation Monasteries do similarly.
We accept donations only, no fixed price, just whatever someone offers or can afford.
May God bless you!
Sister Susan

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:208660"]
I want to go on a weekend private retreat. The only catholic retreat house near my area charges $75 a night not including meals. I've never been on a retreat, but this seems a bit steep price wise to me. Is this the general price?
Another question I have that isn't really related to the first is whether women's communities ever let young women who have a vocation stay with them for a few days, to observe how they live. That is something I'd really like to do because I have a vocation, but do sometimes question it.
Thanks!

[/quote]

No retreat house will ever turn someone away because they cannot afford it. If you are truly unable to afford it ask if you are able to help them instead of paying. In my honest opinion; if you are truly unable to afford going to a retreat house; and they refuse admission based upon that - they are demonstrating a lack of charity and you would be best looking elsewhere for a retreat.

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:208660"]
I want to go on a weekend private retreat. The only catholic retreat house near my area charges $75 a night not including meals. I've never been on a retreat, but this seems a bit steep price wise to me. Is this the general price?
Another question I have that isn't really related to the first is whether women's communities ever let young women who have a vocation stay with them for a few days, to observe how they live. That is something I'd really like to do because I have a vocation, but do sometimes question it.
Thanks!

[/quote]

you don't say if the price includes the actual retreat activities, meetings, spiritual direction and so forth, but the price is in the ballpark for room and board at most places I am familiar with. How spartan or luxurious are the facilities? How are meals handled?

yes most religious communities host retreat experiences for young women discerning a vocation, contact the convent or monastery or look on the website for the order you are considering.

[quote="Sister_Susan, post:3, topic:208660"]
I have been mostly on the East Coast and can list several retreat houses, hermitages and monasteries that would accept retreatants.
accepts women who are discerning a vocation OR women just simply looking for quiet time with the Lord. All our Visitation Monasteries do similarly.
We accept donations only, no fixed price, just whatever someone offers or can afford.
May God bless you!
Sister Susan

[/quote]

I never knew there were Visitation nuns in Brooklyn. BTW happy feast day.

[quote="Sister_Susan, post:3, topic:208660"]
May God bless you!
Sister Susan

[/quote]

I made a five-day retreat with your fellow Visitandines in Philadelphia back in 1998.
I liked it very much; all the Sisters were very kind to me. It was a little strange having to adhere to a schedule, particularly in the morning and at night when I had to find a bathroom to take my shower! :blush:

The community had two dogs-one a goofy golden retriever who liked me and the other an Aussie cattle dog who barked every time it saw me. On my last evening, as I walked in the garden with Mother and the two novices they had at the time, that dog 'nipped' me in the heel as if I were a sheep to be herded!
The monastery was next door to the Archbishop's residence, and in 1979, the Sisters got to meet John Paul II 'up close and personal'! :D

I am familiar only with St. Leo Abbey in sunny, wonderful Florida (ya'll come down for a visit). The abbey suggests a donation of $60 per night which includes three meals a day. The food is simple, but exceptionally well prepared.

Every time I read about someone going on a retreat, I want to go on a weekend retreat again with the monks at St. Leo Abbey -- they create sacred time. After 120 years of the abbey's existence you can feel it in the air. Can't buy that for $300 per night at a luxury hotel. :)

I will be going on a week long silent retreat at a Benedictine monastery in Massachusetts beginning on Monday. They ask for a donation but don't give an amount. Given I just came back from a conference and paid $133 for just a room at the Holiday Inn Express (OK I got breakfast too) then I figure I could pay 1/2 of that a day for a room and meals at the retreat house. They didn't give a suggested amount but in looking up some other retreat houses I think that is fair. The one thing that someone pointed out is that it is considered a donation and would be tax deductible. I never took a deduction for the cost of the retreat but in thinking about it, my job also says I need to take a retreat every year. Anyone know if this is true....not that it really matters, I'll pay it anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.