Question about reverence towards the Eucharist

Ok, so you’re flipping through the channels, and as you flip, you find yourself flipped over to daily Mass on EWTN, right in the middle of the consecration! What do you do? Keep flipping? Pause for a moment out of respect, then flip? Pause and watch? Kneel in front of your couch? Plan ahead and don’t flip through EWTN during their Mass times?

Can we have a USCCB ruling on this? :smiley:

I guess my concern is that I want to always show reverence towards the Eucharist, but when it’s shown in that little box in my living room, what then?

OK, one more question, say you want to watch the readings during their televised Mass and hear their great homilies, is it then OK to flip, or should you watch the whole Mass, even though you’re not taking communion?

I want to show respect, but it’s only TV! … but it’s Jesus on TV! I’m so confused…:banghead: :o

[quote=sweetchuck]Ok, so you’re flipping through the channels, and as you flip, you find yourself flipped over to daily Mass on EWTN, right in the middle of the consecration! What do you do? Keep flipping? Pause for a moment out of respect, then flip? Pause and watch? Kneel in front of your couch? Plan ahead and don’t flip through EWTN during their Mass times?

I guess my concern is that I want to always show reverence towards the Eucharist, but when it’s shown in that little box in my living room, what then?

OK, one more question, say you want to watch the readings during their televised Mass and hear their great homilies, is it then OK to flip, or should you watch the whole Mass, even though you’re not taking communion?

I want to show respect, but it’s only TV! … but it’s Jesus on TV! I’m so confused…:banghead: :o
[/quote]

Are you watching TV to go to mass? I’m still a newb but I think it’s a sin not to go to mass on Sunday. I dont think it’s a sin to turn the channel. Ask Jesus if it’s ok perhaps it’s something special just for you or maybe it’s a bout with legalism.

-D

[quote=Darrel]Are you watching TV to go to mass? I’m still a newb but I think it’s a sin not to go to mass on Sunday. I dont think it’s a sin to turn the channel. Ask Jesus if it’s ok perhaps it’s something special just for you or maybe it’s a bout with legalism.

-D
[/quote]

I think he is just refering to if he is just flipping through the channels and happens upon the consecration of the mass on EWTN.

[quote=sweetchuck]Ok, so you’re flipping through the channels, and as you flip, you find yourself flipped over to daily Mass on EWTN, right in the middle of the consecration! What do you do? Keep flipping? Pause for a moment out of respect, then flip? Pause and watch? Kneel in front of your couch? Plan ahead and don’t flip through EWTN during their Mass times?

[/quote]

Not taking communion would not affect it since there is no communion offered through the tv. The question is whether you should show reverence even if you are not in the presence of the Eucharist. I would say that it is not necisary because first of all you are not in the presence of the Eucharist, second because it is not live. The mass is pre-recorded I would say. I would also compare it to looking at a picture. If you walked by a picture of the Eucharist, would you genuflect? Or a picture of Jesus(as a human form), would you kneel or genuflect or show some reverence to the picture?

[/quote]

It is important to remember that at any given moment there are 20,000 Catholic Masses taking place in the world. So even though Mass is not taking place in you livingroom it is taking place in the church at EWTN. You can stop and watch the Consecration and spritually attach yourself to the Consecration.

Interesting question…When I’m watching a sporting event on TV I never stand for the national anthem…but this seems a little different…hmmmm…this might be a “follow your well formed conscience” decision…

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]It is important to remember that at any given moment there are 20,000 Catholic Masses taking place in the world. So even though Mass is not taking place in you livingroom it is taking place in the church at EWTN. You can stop and watch the Consecration and spritually attach yourself to the Consecration.
[/quote]

I absolutely LOVE to sit and ponder that. At any given time, there is a mass. At any given time, Jesus is present in the Eucharist - this is just amazing to me. I see a miracle every time I go to mass.

So, I guess If I was flipping and came across this, I would probably stop to watch the entire consecration, but not feel obligated to watch the entire mass.

I make the Sign of the Cross, when I drive past a Catholic Church, to show respect that the Blessed Sacrament is there.

I imagine that making the Sign of the Cross during a televised Mass would be a nice gesture too.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.