Question About Rosary Format

Shalom.

I have been very moved lately to investigate further the Catholic Church, and in doing so, have tried to organize a set format for the Rosary Prayer. My mom’s friend gave me a little Rosary booklet that covers the basics (her other friend, Andria, who is a Lutheran has only encouraged my interest in this), and my own friend Amy and her family gave me a beautiful Rosary. One question I do have is this: Is it okay when saying traditional, biblical prayers like the “Our Father” to replace them with a more up-to-date version of the prayer, say, like something from the NJB, which, of course, lacks the additional closing doxology (“For yours is the…Amen”)?

This is the format I was given:

1. Make Cross Sign and say Apostles’ Creed.
  2. Say “Our Father”
  3. Say three “Hail Marys”
  4. Say “Glory Be”
  5. Announce First Mystery, then say “Our Father”
  6. Say ten “Hail Marys,” meditating on Mystery
  7. Say “Glory Be,” then “Fatima Prayer”
  8. Anounce Second Mystery, then say “Our Father.” Repeat 6 and 7 and continue with Third, Fourth, and Fifth Mysteries in the same manner.
  9. Say “Hail Holy Queen”

Are there other ways? And also: What’s the doctrinal background for “Hail Holy Queen”?

I don’t know what the NJB is, but Catholics do not use the doxology outside of Mass. So, in the Rosary, you would not say the doxology, so you’d end with “lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

There are many variations of the Rosary-- all use the 4 sets of mysteries and the same prayers. But, there are scriptural rosaries where you meditate on scripture verses at each Hail Mary, there are many Rosary booklets-- I suggest you look around until you find one you like.

You can even say the Rosary using your computer:

www.virtualrosary.com

Here’s a link to a website that offers insight into the history of some Marian prayers:

memorare.com/mary/marianprayershistory.html

Here’s the way me and my prayer buddies do it, except at the end we add the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel.

newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf

#6 - you are leaving out the details of the mysteries that are to be contemplated. When I get home I’ll post the link to a site that has very detailed rosary instrucitons.

#6 - you are leaving out the details of the mysteries that are to be contemplated. When I get home I’ll post the link to a site that has very detailed rosary instrucitons.

I know what they are, for the most part. I am organizing all of this and have included this on my personal Rosary instructions:

JOYFUL MYSTERIES (MONDAY AND SATURDAY)

Annunciation (Fruit: Humility)
Visitation (Fruit: Love of neighbor)
Nativity (Fruit: Poverty)
Presentation (Fruit: Obedience)
Finding in the Temple (Fruit: Joy in finding Jesus)

LUMINOUS MYSTERIES (THURSDAY)

Baptism of Jesus (Fruit: Openness to Holy Spirit)
Miracle at the Wedding at Cana (Fruit: To Jesus through Mary)
Proclamation of Kingdom of God (Fruit: Repentance and Trust in God)
Transfiguration (Fruit: Desire for Holiness)
Institution of Eucharist (Fruit: Adoration)

SORROWFUL MYSTERIES (TUESDAY AND FRIDAY)

Agony in the Garden (Fruit: Sorrow for Sin)
Scourging at the Pillar (Fruit: Purity)
Crowning with Thorns (Fruit: Courage)
Carrying of the Cross (Fruit: Patience)
The Crucifixion (Fruit: Perseverance)

GLORIOUS MYSTERIES (WEDNESDAY AND SUNDAY)
Resurrection (Fruit: Faith)
Ascension (Fruit: Hope)
Descent of Holy Spirit (Fruit: Love of God)
Assumption of Mary (Fruit: Grace of Happy Death)
Coronation of Mary (Fruit: Trust in Mary’s intercession)

But I must ask: Does anyone else think it odd to call Miriam “our life and our hope” or “Queen of Heaven”?

1ke, I tried that link for virtual Rosary and it does not open when you click on virtual rosary.

Ok, so you have the biblical verses that go along with the mysteries?

Here is some more info on the Rosary, if you have not seen it before.

theholyrosary.org/power.html

But I must ask: Does anyone else think it odd to call Miriam “our life and our hope” or “Queen of Heaven”?

I have heard fathers and mothers call their first child, our life and our hope. It’s out of love we say these poetic words. :smiley:

Queen of Heaven is base that Jesus is King. Since in the OT, Davidic Kings had mothers as their queens. Since Jesus is from the Davidic lineage, he inherited this kingdom. Just as Jesus is King of Heaven, Mary is His Queen Mother of Heaven.

In Revelation 12:1-2, we read

"And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and her head a crown of twelve stars; she was with child, and she cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish for delivery.

In verse 5 it says, “She brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God, and to his throne.”

The woman gave birth to a male child. This child will rule all nations, and he was taken to God and to his throne. Clearly, this child is Jesus. We know Jesus is the King of Kings so he he rule all nations. The child being caught up to God and to his throne implies, the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ.

So who is this woman with a crown of stars over her head? She is Mary. So we can confidentially say, that Mary is the Queen of Heaven.

I hope this helps.

I understand your trepidation with, “our life and our hope,” (in regards to that, others are more well qualified to explain than I) but I find , “Queen of Heaven” to be very easy to understand.

Refer to the fifth Glorious Mystery-- the Coronation. This is exactly what the title, “Queen of Heaven” refers to. We refer to this verse from Revelation in relation to this mystery:

A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.(Rev 12:1)

I find the, ‘crown’ reference to be an interesting one in Scripture. For instance, note Paul’s use of crown in first Corinthians. In 1 Cor 9:25 the reward for the runner is an, “imperishable crown.” Jesus promises the, “crown of life,” to those who persevere through suffering and trials unto death (Rev 2:10). And again warns us to hold fast so that, “no one may take your crown” (Rev 2:10). The elders of Revelation sit on thrones with, “gold crowns” on their heads (Rev 4:4).

Now, it occured to me that by our baptism we are, “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation,” and again, “a kingdom, priests for his God and Father” (1 Pet 2:9; Rev 1:6).

And it is here that I simply yield to the mystery of God-- the God who loves us to much that he associates us in the work of His creation, and who so freely shares his gifts-- so much so that we share such amazing power so as to be, ‘royal’ to be kings.

The great mystery of Mary is not simply that she has some of these, ‘royal’ prerogatives which all Christians share, but that she has them in a perfectly unparalled way, I think. Because of her holiness the crown which is given to her is not simply the imperishable crown stored up for all other believers, but a Queenship which surpasses that of all creation. This is a great mystery of God’s grace-- and for that reason, all the more worthy to be contemplated in the rosary!

-Rob

P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to let 'em fire!

When I first started praying the Rosary, back in the mid-80s, I then thought it strange. I’d been a fundamentalist for several years by then, and just about anything Mary seemed odd. As I became more familiar with “Mariology” I got to where it made sense to me, but it took a long time, and even today I still get a reaction! My advice would be for you to just ignore whatever adverse reaction you’re having to these types of prayers, as they are the result of indoctrinations, and these will take a long time to reverse. As you pray the Rosary, and also read about Mary, you will gradually see the beauty and wisdom of these prayers.

Oops, it’s:

www.virtualrosary.org

I put “.com” on the end by mistake.

are the result of indoctrinations,

I know! It feels like I’ve been Baptist-brainwashed or something …

I used to consider it riduculous to think the Church Militant represented by the Woman in Revelation 12 was to be associated with Miriam, as the Catholic Church said! Then I read the end of chapter 11, which spoke of the Ark of the Covenant. I knew Miriam was the Ark of the New Covenant, and suddenly it hit me: “The Church is typified by Miriam, the Immaculate Conception and the first-ever follower of her Son! And as she is the Ark of the Covenant, in a sense, chapter 12 only CONTINUES the beginning of a grand revelation begun in 11! Therefore, the Woman must be both the New Israel, the Church Militant, AND Miriam, mother of Our Lord, clothed in his splendor and glory, sharing in the Glory of God, as will all the faithful saints one day!”

It’s really quite amazing to think I’ve missed for so long these things.

They’re well-meaning people… they love the Lord, and are naturally opposed to anything that smacks of idolotry or paganism.

A few months into my conversion, it came to be my turn to lead our men’s 0600 prayer breakfast. This was a small group, usually no more than 10 men, and we all knew each other very well, and they knew that I was going thru a conversion to Catholicism, and had been trying to “reason” with me. I’d been praying the Rosary for a few months, mostly while jogging my daily 5 miles, and it had already become a very meaningful devotion for me. I thought, wow, maybe I could introduce the Rosary to my brothers, who undoubtedly think it is something idolotrous and evil. I planned it all out, and the morning came. I no sooner began my presentation, than the hardcore Baptist in the group stood up and said that he’d tolerate no discussion of Mary or the Rosary. None of the other men supported me in the least, so that was that. The thing is, these were (are?) all just the most decent Christian men you’d ever want to know. I made a mistake thinking I could disabuse them of some of their misconceptions about the Rosary, but they wouldn’t so much as listen to me. The indoctrinations are very hard to overcome. I am so glad I stuck to it and got above them, because getting to know Mary, I’ve gotten to know Jesus in a deeper way than I ever was able before.

:slight_smile:

Thank you for this!

It took me forever to say the Hail, Holy Queen…I honestly didn’t know it was part of the rosary at first, & then I had got used to the way I was praying the rosary without it…
Now, I don’t even think about it. But I understand it better. (I :slight_smile: think…).
I guess where I am going with this, is that I think it is more important to start praying the rosary proper, than to let that hold you up…if it is, I mean.
I always used to pray a different prayer at the end, which was something like, "Eternal Father, whose only-begotten Son, through His life, death, & resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life. Grant, we beseech you, that meditating on these mysteries of the most holy rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that we may imitate what they contain, & obtain what they promise. Through the same Christ our Lord, Amen."
Now it turned out, that this was traditionally a prayer said after the Hail, Holy Queen, but I was just a :wink: nice Methodist girl, learning to pray out of a book, which didn’t have the prayers exactly the same as they are usually said…(Maybe it was from another country? I have heard that not all countries use the same set of “end prayers”…).

Anyhow, welcome to the rosary! It will, I believe, transform your prayer life…I know that it has done that for me!!
God bless, and HTH!!

I love saying the rosary.
When I finish it, it puts me on a natural high that is great.

I have many responses to the Rosary. Often I’m just as dry as can be, same as when I pray in other ways. Other times I weep throughout. Because I’m like this, and have known others like this, I take it to be a natural thing that humans will not always be attuned to good prayer, but that they should do it anyway. After all, love is an action, not a feeling. We should pray at all times, even when we don’t feel like it, and maybe ESPECIALLY when we don’t feel like it. One of the great values of structured and meditative prayer is that it collects the mind and helps to focus attention. Prayer that relies completely on original verbalizations can end up being not much more than daydreaming and a trip to an unintended nap. Not that napping is so bad… Lord knows I’ve fallen asleep during the Rosary plenty of times!

Since the Rosary is a private devotion, there is really no “wrong” way to do it! Before I became Catholic I loved using the Anglican form.

A good friend of mine has written Scriptural Rosaries, like this one based on the Prayer of Jabez:

1 Chronicles 4:9-10

In the name of the Father…
Apostle’s Creed
Our Father…
Hail Mary for faith…
Hail Mary for hope…
Hail Mary for charity…
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers.

Our Father…

Micah 6:8

Hail Mary

Psalm 15:1-2

Hail Mary

Psalm 15:3-5

Hail Mary

1 Timothy 4:12

Hail Mary

Deuteronomy 6:4-5

Hail Mary

Leviticus 19:18

Hail Mary

Romans 12:9-12

Hail Mary

Romans 12:13-17

Hail Mary

Romans 12:18-19

Hail Mary

Romans 12:20-21

Hail Mary
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…

And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh that You would bless me indeed…

Our Father…

Proverbs 10:22

Hail Mary

Numbers 6:24-26

Hail Mary

Deuteronomy 28: 2

Hail Mary

Deuteronomy 28:3-6

Hail Mary
Deuteronomy 28:7-8

Hail Mary

Deuteronomy 28:10-11

Hail Mary

Deuteronomy 28:12-14

Hail Mary

Exodus 34: 6-7a

Hail Mary

Ezekiel 34:26-27

Hail Mary

Ephesians 3:20-21

Hail Mary
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…

And enlarge my territory…

Our Father…

Matthew 27:19-20

Hail Mary

Exodus 34:24

Hail Mary

2 Samuel 22:35-37

Hail Mary

Psalms 92:12-13

Hail Mary

Psalms 92:14-15

Hail Mary

Isaiah 26:15

Hail Mary

Isaiah 51:1

Hail Mary

Isaiah 51:2

Hail Mary

Acts 6:7

Hail Mary

Acts 2:42, 47

Hail Mary
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…

…that Your hand would be with me…

Our Father…

Isaiah 40:30-31

Hail Mary

Isaiah 41:10

Hail Mary

Isaiah 54:17

Hail Mary

Psalm 31:14-16

Hail Mary

Psalm 37:23-24

Hail Mary

Psalm 139:9-10

Hail Mary

Psalm 145:15-16

Hail Mary

Isaiah 40:11

Hail Mary

John 10:27-29

Hail Mary

Romans 8:38-39

Hail Mary
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…

and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!”

Our Father…

Matthew 26:41

Hail Mary

1 Corinthians 10:13

Hail Mary

Hosea 2:6-7a

Hail Mary

Psalms 141:4

Hail Mary

2 Thessalonians 3:2-3

Hail Mary

Philippians 6:11-12

Hail Mary

Philippians 6:13-18a

Hail Mary

2 Corinthians 10:4

Hail Mary

Hebrews 2:18

Hail Mary

Psalms 139: 5-6

Hail Mary
Glory Be…
O My Jesus…
Hail Holy Queen

Sorry, I had to edit out the Scripture passages to make it fit in one post. If you would like to use it, a few minutes of copying/pasting from Biblegateway or similar website will provide you with the passages you need. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.