Question about Seminary Studies

Hello everyone. If things go as planned and I get accepted into the college seminary program for my diocese in the next year or two will the 22 general education college credits I received apply to this? Thanks.

That’s a question for your diocese’s vocations director. It depends on where you go to college seminary and whether the diocese is OK with you skipping a year ahead or wants you to re-take those courses in the full college format.

This is a question for your diocesan Director of Vocations. It all depends.

I’d ask sooner rather than later, though, if you are talking about classes that you plan on taking between now and the time you get accepted. It may be that there are some courses you could take now that would count rather than taking courses that would not.

Great minds think alike. :slight_smile: I guess we were composing our posts at the same time.

I agree that you need to talk to the vocations director about this.

Here is link to the ‘Program of Priestly Formation’

If you have not already read it, I strongly suggest that you do.

In part, as to education requirements, you need to have sufficient credits in philosophy & theology. If you do not have these, you will begin in what is called “Pre-Theology”.

1. Theologates must require a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
    from an accredited institution. Sufficient education in philosophy, which
    the Code of Canon Law states as a biennium,37 is understood in the United
    States to be at least 30 semester credit hours, plus the out-of-classroom
    work associated with each credit hour traditionally expected in American
    higher education. A minimum of 12 semester credit hours is required
    in appropriate courses of undergraduate theology. (The content of such
    courses is outlined in norms 178 and 179 under “Intellectual Formation—
    College Seminaries: Norms.”)

Here is a link to a post I made in another thread. It has some links to Catholic University of America’s Theological College that will give you some idea of what College Seminary is like.

FYI, the OP is still in high school. He has college equivalency credits in general education subjects.

All the more reason he needs to speak with the vocations director, and read the “Program of Priestly Formation” and not rely on information from random peopel on the internet.

Ironically, you’re the only one giving him advice other than “talk to the vocations director”.

I am not giving advice, I am giving information!

The last thing a 16-year-old needs is to go into a meeting telling the vocations director how he expects he should be formed.

Not to beat up on you, or pile on, but I thought I might add some clarifications to what you’ve posted here…

Actually, ‘pre-theology’ programs are for guys who already have their bachelor’s degree. If the OP doesn’t have a BA or BS, then he’d be placed in a ‘collegian’ program, in which he would likely study for a BA in Philosophy.

Here is a link to a post I made in another thread. It has some links to Catholic University of America’s Theological College that will give you some idea of what College Seminary is like.

Actually, the information that you provided was for the second phase of seminary formation (i.e., ‘major seminary’). In minor seminary, a man studies philosophy. In major seminary, he studies theology, leading to the degrees which you describe in your other post.

Blessings,

G.

Bryce,

They might (or might not) apply toward the bachelor’s degree that you will be pursuing as a collegiate seminarian. The post by Oneofthewomen, in which a link to the PPF is provided, might be a good resource for you to read. In it, you’ll find that academic studies are only one of the four pillars of seminary education.

So, although your gen ed credits might go toward your degree, they won’t ‘shorten’ or ‘substitute’ for the formation that you’ll receive at seminary. You’ll still likely be at a minor seminary for four years. (After that, you’ll be at a major seminary for four years.)

Blessings,

G.

God Bless You All for your generous information.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.