Question about statues of Mary

I have noticed that on a lot of statues of Mary, they have her standing on a snake. What does this mean?

Genesis 3:15 I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. (Douay-Rheims Bible)

DRV commentary on this verse:
15 “She shall crush”… Ipsa, the woman; so divers of the fathers read this place, conformably to the Latin: others read it ipsum, viz., the seed. The sense is the same: for it is by her seed, Jesus Christ, that the woman crushes the serpent’s head.

Women Don’t like snakes. :rotfl: No really church militant is pretty much hitting the snake on the head with that.

CM gave the main reason.

It’s also interesting to note that this is also how she appears on the Miraculous Medal which she told St. Catherine Laboure to have struck. Likewise, on the Guadalupe tilma she is standing on the Aztec serpent-moon god.

I also believe that the serpent represents Satan. :slight_smile:

[quote=Firebug]I also believe that the serpent represents Satan. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Oh, most definitely. The snake is the serpent from the Garden of Eden. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.