Question about suffering?

I know that suffering happens here in this world and it is inevitable. When we suffer, it’s like partaking with Jesus’ suffering.

Let me have this example… my grandmother died, so I cried so badly and it hurt me so much because I will never see her again. But what if, I tried not to think much about that suffering and tried to control my emotion, (like the stoics), what do you think, is it like I am rejecting the sufferings of this world or not?

Not necessarily. Suffering doesn’t necessarily mean expressing pain. You can not express any signs of pain (like crying) and still suffer.

On parting with a loved one stoics try to remember that it may be the last time they see that person and so not only appreciate them but also prepare themselves for possible loss. They then feel pain a little repeatedly over time.
To be bereft of feeling is to not be alive, you should feel what you feel naturally. As a Catholic your belief should help you cope far better than an unbeliever though.

Hello Arnold,
Many theologians differentiate suffering from pain. I would say that you experienced pain when your grandmother died. It has its beginning and end rooted in our physical lives. You felt the pain of loss and grief because you will never see her again in this life. Suffering, however, has its roots in the spiritual world, in God. It is the recognition of the spiritual good for which God allows pain. It is painful to lose a love one. However, if you turn your mind and prayers to God, you can find solace and consolation. Your grandmother is now with our Lord, and her parents and loved ones which she lost along the way. You, also, now have another loved one who sits beside our Lord praying for you. The pain of death is ‘Goodbye’. The suffering of death is ‘Until we meet again’. If you turn your pain into suffering and offer it to God for the betterment of your own soul that you may one day be reunited with your grandmother in heaven, it may not lessen the experience of the loss, but can help you shoulder its burden and move to healing through the graces of our Lord.

Pain is meaningless. Suffering is a gift from our Lord to lift us out of the pointlessness of pain to something truly greater: Himself.

Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted

You will never see here again ?
Do you really think that.
You should be happy for her - that she’s with Jesus.

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.