Question about the Apostles' Creed

I have a simple question about the Apostles’ Creed. Why do we say the Apostles’ Creed and not the Nicene Creed at mass? What’s the deal here?? Thanks!

At the parish where I belong we do say the Nicene Creed during Mass.

Because that’s what your Bishops want to do.:shrug:

ordinarily we pray the Nicene Creed at Mass on Sundays and Holy Days. The Apostles Creed is used at Masses for children, when the children’s lectionary would be used, sometimes also this is replaced by the profession of faith as when baptisms or confirmation are celebrated during the Mass.

My whole life Masses that I have been to recited the Apostles’ Creed and not the Nicene Creed. I did a little search and found a post that said that in Canada (where I’m from) it is the norm to say the Apostles’ Creed during Mass. I guess I answered my own question!

It’s a bad idea the Canadian bishops thought up.

I’m just learning this now. So why did the bishops decide to make this the norm?

No idea. And sadly, in English-speaking countries in about two years time, any priest anywhere will be able to decide which creed to use. The new English translation of the Roman Missal (due to be in use at Advent 2011) allows for either creed to be prayed. Of course, that will be some sort of announcement to the congregation ahead of time or right before it starts, or else they’ll have to wait to hear which words the priest starts with, and then use that creed.

“I believe in God” = Apostles’ Creed
"I believe in one God" = Nicene Creed

I don’t know the reason why the Apostles’ Creed is recited in Canada instead of the Nicene Creed but it has been the norm here for decades. In fact, some dioceses were using it back in the late 1950’s, early 1960’s. We do recite the Nicene Creed at Christmas and on Pentecost Sunday however.
Also, the option to recite the Nicene Creed on any given Sunday is always available. It is used at the neighbouring parish to mine at the 11.00am Mass every Sunday and has been for many years. They do say the Apostles’ Creed at their other Masses.

Nicene Creed during the Tridentine Mass.

Apostles Creed during the Rosary.

It’s interesting to note that in even if we usually use the Apostles Creed in English, the French parishes mostly use the Nicene Creed.

When I asked why we had an indult to say the Apostles Creed during a course on the Mass, the professor, a parish priest, seemed unaware that we were saying it by indult and his only comment was that it was easier to learn.

Sadly, although we are supposed to use the Nicene at Christmas and Annunciation, and it’s recommended in the ORDO at other times, I don’t recall ever using it in this parish in the 12 years I’ve been here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.