Question about the blue army

I am currently attending cell hour at my parish in preparation for consecration to our Lady of mt carmel (brown scapular). I was told that as part of the five first saturdays, i have to attend an all night virgil every first fridays. I travel alot and may not be able to attend the virgil at my parish (and not all parishes do it).
Question is, how necessary is the virgil and can i do a personal virgil, by myself?
Would i be in violation of the reparations needed?
Is the first five saturdays reparation,an all year exercise or just for the first five months after consecration?

Would appreciate full details (in simple abc,please) of what is expected of me as a member of the blue army.
Tanx

An all night Vigil is not necessary. Not even required. Whoever told you an all night
vigil is required as part of the First Five Saturdays is misinformed.

There are only 3 requirements to observe the First Five Saturdays in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary intended to console her Immaculate Heart and to make reparation to it for all the blasphemies and ingratitude of men and women.

1) Confess and receive Holy Communion on the first Saturday for 5 months
2) Recite five decades of the Rosary
3) Keep her company for fifteen (15) minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of
the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to her Immaculate Heart.

NOTE:
Confession during the week preceding the first Friday will suffice for the first

Saturday. Confession can also be made 8 days later after the first Saturday if

unable to make the confession on time. The Rosary may be recited at any convenient time of the day and the fifteen minute meditation may be made at any time during the day on the 15 or 20 mysteries of the Rosary. You may also do your 15 minute meditation on only one Rosary mystery if desired. Also, the First Saturday Mass will not take the place of your Sunday obligation. If attending Mass on Saturday Morning for the First Five you must also attend a second Mass that same day or Sunday for your Sunday obligation.
Also, this is not a magic formula. You must also be in the state of grace and desire to remain so.

Wait when I was enrolled we didn't do any of this. We just had a priest come in one night at our youth group and he asked if we wanted to be enrolled, and we prayed a special prayer with him and then he gave us the scapulars. Was it invalid then?

[quote="firstfive, post:2, topic:330848"]
An all night Vigil is not necessary. Not even required. Whoever told you an all night
vigil is required as part of the First Five Saturdays is misinformed.

There are only 3 requirements to observe the First Five Saturdays in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary intended to console her Immaculate Heart and to make reparation to it for all the blasphemies and ingratitude of men and women.

1) Confess and receive Holy Communion on the first Saturday for 5 months
2) Recite five decades of the Rosary
3) Keep her company for fifteen (15) minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of
the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to her Immaculate Heart.

NOTE:
Confession during the week preceding the first Friday will suffice for the first

Saturday. Confession can also be made 8 days later after the first Saturday if

unable to make the confession on time. The Rosary may be recited at any convenient time of the day and the fifteen minute meditation may be made at any time during the day on the 15 or 20 mysteries of the Rosary. You may also do your 15 minute meditation on only one Rosary mystery if desired. Also, the First Saturday Mass will not take the place of your Sunday obligation. If attending Mass on Saturday Morning for the First Five you must also attend a second Mass that same day or Sunday for your Sunday obligation.
Also, this is not a magic formula. You must also be in the state of grace and desire to remain so.

[/quote]

thanks a mil.
I found an online site that explained it even more,and you are right.

@benedikt.....from my little understanding, in order to gain all the indulgences attached to the brown scapular,you have to practise the devotions for at least the first five saturdays,it is assumed that you would continue the devotions afterwards. however, as the scapular is NOT a magic charm,i believe you are covered by just wearing it,as it means you are consecrated to Mary. Also it is said that the scapular can be given to a non-catholic (yes,really!), but he/she must say a hail mary everyday.(and believe of course!.)

oh alright! thanks so much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.