Question about the Chaplet of Divine Mercy

In the Chaplet of Divine Mercy there is a prayer that says:

Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.*

Can someone explain how we as lay persons can offer God the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of his own Son?

Thanks

Hi, well we can’t offer the Sacrifice of the Mass like a priest does, but this prayer is said outside of Mass…

Because Jesus gave to us His Body. Blood, Soul and Divinity.

So we offer His merits to God to save us from sin.

And cuz Jesus told us to pray it that way in the Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska

Can you explain how we offer merits to God to save us from sin?

I thought we are saved from sin by accepting the grace that God has given us through the sacraments, not anything we can give to Him.

Thanks.

It’s the Eucharist or should I say , your reception offered.

In this prayer, you’re asking God to show mercy to the world and give people graces for conversion, because of His Son’s sacrifice. You are offering Christ to the Father, so that “for the sake of His sorrowful Passion” He will show mercy to the world.

I’ve always seen it as I offer my reception of the holy Eucharist as a kind of spiritual blanket to cover (attone for) the sins of the whole world.

If I recite this during adoration, I see it as I offer the blessings of the Blessed Sacrament to attone for the sins of the whole world.

In an earlier response, it was stated with reference to the mass, that “we can’t offer the Sacrifice of the Mass like a priest does,”. This is true; we have no power to change a mere piece of bread into the body of Christ, nor wine into His blood. However, we participate with the priest, in offering to the Father, the sacrifice of the body and blood of Christ through the power of the priest to consecrate the bread and wine.

So it is with the words of the prayer you quoted. It is Jesus Christ, Himself, who offered his Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, to the Father, but it is we who participate in this offering every time we say these words with reverence, to the Father.

We give back to the Father, that which he gave us, the unfathomable sacrifice of his son, as we utter the words of this prayer. It is a humble acknowledgement of the incomprehensible gift given to us, and of the indescribable glory that is the Most High.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.