Question about the Doxology (Lord's Prayer)

(From Wikipedia)
"For thine is the kingdom, and the power,
and the glory, for ever and ever. - Amen"

See also: Matthew 6:13
The doxology of the prayer is not contained in Luke's version, nor is it present
in the earliest manuscripts of Matthew, representative of the Alexandrian text,
but is present *in the manuscripts representative of the *Byzantine text.[30] It
is thus absent in the oldest and best manuscripts of Matthew
,[31] and *
most scholars do not consider it part of the original text of Matthew*.[32][33]
Modern translations generally omit it.[34]...
...Latin Rite Roman Catholics... ...do not use it when reciting the Lord's Prayer, but it
has been included as an independent item, not as part of the Lord's Prayer, in
the Roman Rite Mass

So with that little piece of information (from the questionable Wikipedia), what am I to
make of this? Should I be disturbed that the (non-Latin rite) churches I go to use the
Doxology at the end of the Lord's Prayer, or what? I'm aware that many churches (at
least in Arizona) aren't exactly traditional (which I **think **is bad), but how should I feel
about this matter? (I'm not *SO *concerned, just thought I'd ask).

The Doxology, for better or worse, is part of Mass according to the Missal of Paul VI.

quote="Judas_Thaddeus, post:1, topic:334314"

The doxology of the prayer is not contained in Luke's version, nor is it present
but is present *in the manuscripts representative of the *Byzantine text.[30] It
,[31] and *
...Latin Rite Roman Catholics... ...do not use it when reciting the Lord's Prayer, but it
the Roman Rite
Mass.

So with that little piece of information (from the questionable Wikipedia), what am I to
make of this? Should I be disturbed that the (non-Latin rite) churches I go to use the
Doxology at the end of the Lord's Prayer, or what? I'm aware that many churches (at
least in Arizona) aren't exactly traditional (which I think is bad), but how should I feel

[/quote]

Oh goodness me, a little bit of extra praise and glory has never hurt anyone.Peace, Carlan

It is not part of the Lord's prayer. But is found in "The Didache"; an early Christain writing. It is used as a refrain in the Eucharistic celebration.:)

OP, a better explanation can be found in the Catholic Encyclopedia, rather than Wikipedia. It is a good presentation, and contrary to your not finding it in Matthew or Luke, who were writing for another purpose, it IS referenced in many epistles, as was common in those days to use this brief doxology.

[quote="Carlan, post:3, topic:334314"]
Oh goodness me, a little bit of extra praise and glory has never hurt anyone.Peace, Carlan

[/quote]

I agree.:)

quote="Judas_Thaddeus, post:1, topic:334314"

,[31] and *
the Roman Rite
Mass.

least in Arizona) aren't exactly traditional (which I think is bad), but how should I feel

[/quote]

In the Byzantine Divine Liturgy, it is used, but said by the priest. In other liturgical services, such as Vespers, it is used only if there is a priest present. Otherwise it is omitted. It is of ancient origin, as part of the liturgy and is found in scripture in other places.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.