Question About the Nephilim

I started reading the bible from the beginning, trying to pay more attention to what I read. Numbers 13:33, when they explore the land of Canaan, states, “There we saw the Nephilim.” I was under the impression that the Nephilim were exterminated with the flood, since they first appear in Genesis 6:1 before the flood. I thought that after the flood we were all decendents of Noah and his sons. Why would they appear again???

The nephilim were descendants of Ham, father of Canaan and son of Noah.

I was under the impression the nephilim were the offspring of fallen angels and human women.

They existed both before and after the flood.

Angels are pure spirit and incapable of procreation amongst themselves, or with humans.

This is what I heard about the origin of the Nephilim:

**Genesis 6:1-2

When human beings began to grow numerous on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw how beautiful the daughters of human beings were, and so they took for their wives whomever they pleased.**

The sons of God refer to the Seth line, created, like Adam and Eve, in the image of God. Human beings refer to the Cain line.

**The Descendants of Cain and Seth **

Genesis 4:17 (referring to Cain): Cain had intercourse with his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch.

Genesis 5:1 (referring to Seth): When God created human beings, he made them in the likeness of God.

So, the Seth line became corrupt by intermarriage between the two lines, the result: The Nephilim.

So, this is why I can’t understand why the Nephilim reappear in Numbers, since they were wiped out by the flood.**

Correct, but as the bible states, the fallen angels in this case, possessed human males and then had sex with the human women, but the demons were able to pass some ‘demonic seed’ along, thus creating half human, half abomination.

I asked our most senior priest at our parish about this awhile back, he is a very smart man, has a PHd in history, he explained to me that these Nephilim were the first attempt of Satan to corrupt the human seed, so Jesus would not be born, but this did not work out so well for Satan.

We visited a local Serpent mound in southern OH last year, they have some of the Nephilim tools and other artifacts there, they are amazing to see, the ax head they had was HUGE, they also had a skull, which was not the first one Ive seen, the Nephilim skulls are missing one of the ‘plates’ that are used to form the top of the skull, humans have 2-3 of these, but the Nephilim have none, besides having double rows of teeth, this is one way to tell the difference, (besides the general size of course!)

I asked our priest about this, because I had went all thru catholic school and never once heard of them being mentioned, I thought this was strange, so I decided one day to ask a priest about it, Im glad I did now!

The only thing that still makes me wonder is how tall they actually were, in the bible it gives their height in jewish Els and Cubits, in the Els equation, the giants would have been 450ft tall, I think that is a stretch, and dont believe they were that tall, Im thinking more like 25-40ft at the most, but why would the bible list the height in Els, if it didnt mean anything?

Commentary from “The Navarre Bible: Pentateuch” (p.65-66):
Genesis 6:1-4: We cannot quite work out what the expression “sons of God” means here. Jewish tradition and some ancient Christian writers read it as meaning fallen angels; but that explanation does not fit in with the spiritual nature of angels. Therefore, it has been interpreted as meaning good men, the descendants of Seth who indiscriminately took as wives descendants of Cain, here called “daughters of men.” This is the explanation given by St. Augustine (De civitate Dei, 15,23), St. John Chrysostom (Homiliae in Genesim, 22,4), St. Cyril of Alexandria (Glaphyra in Genesim, 2,2) and other Fathers. Mankind’s moral decline on account of pride and abuses of marriage prepares the way for the upcoming account of the flood.

The reference might not be to a tribe named “Nephilim” but to a type of people. In both cases, the Greek text has γιγας, ‘giant’, rendering the Hebrew נָפִיל, which apparently indicates something along the lines of ‘smiter/destroyer’. The people in Nu 13:33 and in Ge 6:4 could both have been described that way as a result of their size and ferocity, not their lineage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.