Question about the Nicene Creed...

Why was the word “worshipped” changed to “adore” in the Nicene Creed? I understand the reason for the changes in much of the liturgy to more closely resemble the responses/ certain prayers of the Latin Mass, but this one has me a little confused. I have a Lutheran friend who asked, “If we’re (Catholics) trying to “get it right” according to the original text, why not just go back to the greek?” Hmmm…does anyone have an answer?

The Latin has always been “adore”:

Qui cum Patre et Fílio simul adorátur et conglorificátur:”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

Adore means worship. The issue is that “worship” can be interpreted as either “venerate” (the reverence due to saints) or as “adore” (the worship due to God). So to clarify that we are worshiping the Holy Spirit as God, the English translation was changed to “adore”.

Latin: adoratur

The documents of Nicaea were promulgated by the Church in both Latin and Greek, so both are authoritative. Thus, there is no need to ‘go back to the Greek’.

With only a couple of exceptions, the official liturgy of the Latin rite is Latin. Translations into the vernacular are from the editio typica which is in Latin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.