Question about the OF Absolution

After the Absolution occurs, some people make the SotC and others don’t. I heard on CAL that making the SotC is not in the rubrics of the mass to be done after the Absolution occurs. So, then, is it considered a liturgical abuse to make the SotC after absolution?

[quote="codefro, post:1, topic:296399"]
After the Absolution occurs, some people make the SotC and others don't. I heard on CAL that making the SotC is not in the rubrics of the mass to be done after the Absolution occurs. So, then, is it considered a liturgical abuse to make the SotC after absolution?

[/quote]

If people are just doing it by themselves, I'd let them be. It's nothing like congregational holding of hands at the Our Father or something like that. I myself even bow and make the sign of the Cross at the usual points at an OF Gloria and Creed (although since the rubrics are clear, I normally bow at an OF Creed, not genuflect as we would do regularly at the EF).

Trust in God's love and understanding when it comes to the intent of our hearts.

Crossing oneself isnt an abuse.

After the Absolution occurs, some people make the SotC and others don't. I heard on CAL that making the SotC is not in the rubrics of the mass to be done after the Absolution occurs. So, then, is it considered a liturgical abuse to make the SotC after absolution?

[/quote]

As a general rule, it's not a real liturgical abuse unless it is done by the priest or encouraged by the priest for the consecration. In today's multi-cultural world, you see lots of different gestures of personal piety and I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, a gesture that is already part of the Mass is a lot easier to ignore than something that is not. The sign of the cross is already part of Mass so if someone makes it during the absolution or after Communion it doesn't bother me at all. Same thing with striking one's breast at the elevation;it's already part of Mass at the Confetior. It's the gestures and movements that aren't already part of Mass that tend to irk me (like clapping or the swoop move) but still not that big of a deal.

So, then, is it considered a liturgical abuse to make the SotC after absolution?

[/quote]

No.

[quote="Corki, post:4, topic:296399"]
As a general rule, it's not a real liturgical abuse unless it is done by the priest or encouraged by the priest for the consecration. In today's multi-cultural world, you see lots of different gestures of personal piety and I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, a gesture that is already part of the Mass is a lot easier to ignore than something that is not. The sign of the cross is already part of Mass so if someone makes it during the absolution or after Communion it doesn't bother me at all. Same thing with striking one's breast at the elevation;it's already part of Mass at the Confetior. It's the gestures and movements that aren't already part of Mass that tend to irk me (like clapping or the swoop move) but still not that big of a deal.

[/quote]

What's that?

[quote="Hokomai, post:6, topic:296399"]
What's that?

[/quote]

It's a movement some people make with their hands and arms. It usually accompanies the words "and with your spirit" (formerly "and also with you") but sometimes also used with the words "we lift them up to the Lord". A person holds his/her hands in front of his/her body a little below waist hieght with the palms facing up. As they say the words, they swoop thier hands upward through the air, ending about chest high. It hard to paint a mental picture. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

It seems to me that "liturgical abuse" is a pretty vague term. I instinctively associate it only with celebrants; it seems weird to accuse laymen, who have no real function in the liturgy, of "abusing" a liturgy at which they are merely witnesses.

"Liturgical innovation," certainly, in the sense that it falls outside the GIRM.

I was told that blessing yourself with holy water after leaving Mass undermined the final blessing. I was told that making the Sign of the Cross after receiving Communion was out of line. REALLY? There is a "wrong" time to pray the Sign of the Cross? I am all for a licit Mass and I stick to my guns when commenting on the many abuses that do take place. But the Sign of the Cross? I think that we need to pick our battles and focus on many obvious abuses that occur frequently. Just my two cents...... not worth any more than a comment. God bless everyone here...........teachccd :)

Well, I once went to confession and as I was leaving the church, reached for the Holy Water. I then thought it superfluous because confession already wiped out all my venial sins and then-some!

[quote="Corki, post:7, topic:296399"]
It's a movement some people make with their hands and arms. It usually accompanies the words "and with your spirit" (formerly "and also with you") but sometimes also used with the words "we lift them up to the Lord". A person holds his/her hands in front of his/her body a little below waist hieght with the palms facing up. As they say the words, they swoop thier hands upward through the air, ending about chest high. It hard to paint a mental picture. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Yup, you have to see it :D It really irritates me I must admit and it is a very popular gesture here. Why do they do that??

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:11, topic:296399"]
Yup, you have to see it :D It really irritates me I must admit and it is a very popular gesture here. Why do they do that??

[/quote]

I'm curious how it got so Popular. Vietnamese masses do it too. EF and Anglican Use Masses do not do this, but I see it in OF. I think they even did it while I attended Masses in Guatemala, although I cannot remember.

[quote="runningdude, post:10, topic:296399"]
Well, I once went to confession and as I was leaving the church, reached for the Holy Water. I then thought it superfluous because confession already wiped out all my venial sins and then-some!

[/quote]

I once thought the same thing after confession but then I reasoned that the Holy Water is a reminder of my baptism (which I can't remember because I was an infant). And one's baptism is something one wants to be reminded of because it is the day a person was admitted into the family...the Church.

[quote="PacoG, post:13, topic:296399"]
I once thought the same thing after confession but then I reasoned that the Holy Water is a reminder of my baptism (which I can't remember because I was an infant). And one's baptism is something one wants to be reminded of because it is the day a person was admitted into the family...the Church.

[/quote]

Good point. And that would make it particularly appropriate after the sacrament of Confession. :thumbsup:

I absolutely can never find a moment in one’s life where praying the Sign of the Cross is inappropriate. For heaven’s sake in that prayer we are invoking the name of God so how could there ever be a time when that is unacceptable?

There is no absolution after the Confiteor (sp).

The only way to get absolution is in private confession to a priest.

[quote="teachccd, post:15, topic:296399"]
I absolutely can never find a moment in one's life where praying the Sign of the Cross is inappropriate. For heaven's sake in that prayer we are invoking the name of God so how could there ever be a time when that is unacceptable?

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="andrewstx, post:16, topic:296399"]
There is no absolution after the Confiteor (sp).

The only way to get absolution is in private confession to a priest.

[/quote]

We know that. We also understand that "absolution" is used informally here to refer to the point at Mass where the priest asks God to remit our sins. It's colloquially called so because the Roman Mass traditionally had

"Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem peccatorum nostrorum, tribuat nobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus."

after the Confiteors. But we know it's not sacramental Absolution as one receives in Confession.

I wouldn't call this an "innovation." It's more of a retention from the TLM. Our priest does this. He also makes the sign of the cross while bowing before the tabernacle before proclaiming the Gospel. He ends each homily with "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." We join in, though he has not ordered us to.

I think it would be a liturgical abuse if the priest directed that everyone make the sign of the cross at the absolution.

I cannot imagine any problem ever with the faithful making the sign of the cross during Mass. It's a good way to focus the mind and heart on the Holy Trinity, which is precisely where we should be focused at Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.