Question about the Religious Habit

Hello Everyone. As of right now I am highly considering joining the Capuchins or Jesuits. I know the Jesuits dress like a regular diocesan priest, but a Capuchin dresses in the brown habit. If I decide to join this order I am scared I will feel like I am from the 19th century. Are these orders modernized? Do they embrace technology? I mean I am fully aware that I will be giving up a lot and I don’t mind that. I want to feel like I am living in the 21st century though. I’m fine with wearing a habit though.

For what reason are you considering joining?

Worrying about how you feel might indicate you aren't quite ready to give up your life?

I'm sure that's quite normal though!

Have you considered also the Secular Franciscan Order?You can live out in the world. Then maybe one day you would want to progress it further.

It sounds like you don't know either of these groups personally. If you call their vocation directors or contact them through their web sites you'll be given an opportunity to talk with them, find out more about them, visit some Jesuits or Franciscans near you, etc. As you get to know them, experience their spirituality, learn about their ministries, etc. you may find that one or the other particularly attracts you. Or maybe not.

Franciscans, Benedictines, Dominicans, and others who wear habits definitely live in the modern world while dressing as if they didn't. They use computers, cell phones, drive cars, and otherwise use the technology they need to do their jobs.

Do consider visiting people who belong to these orders and get to know something about them through their members. You'll find out they're real people just like you who have embraced a particular way of life. I know Franciscans through belonging to one of their parishes and Jesuits both through a friend and as someone currently participating in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. They're both wonderful groups of men, but their focus and spirituality are very different.

If you are interested in how Capuchin friars live, you'd want to get in touch with them, not us! :)

Most religious orders have some kind of practical, easy-fit style of clothing. (Hence the robes -- you only have to fit shoulders, arms, and hemline at the bottom.) Most orders tend to be practical or frugal about what their members own and use, and most stuff is either issued to you to use, or used by everybody in common. If they need some item of technology to carry out their mission or educate their members, they've got it. If they don't, they won't. Since Franciscan orders usually include some kind of vow of poverty instead of stability, you'll need to see what they consider useful.

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:329096"]
Hello Everyone. As of right now I am highly considering joining the Capuchins or Jesuits. I know the Jesuits dress like a regular diocesan priest, but a Capuchin dresses in the brown habit. If I decide to join this order I am scared I will feel like I am from the 19th century. Are these orders modernized? Do they embrace technology? I mean I am fully aware that I will be giving up a lot and I don't mind that. I want to feel like I am living in the 21st century though. I'm fine with wearing a habit though.

[/quote]

The habit is ageless and is a sacramental to both those who use it and those who see it. I personally wouldn't want you to be in one unless you were mentally prepared for it. Perhaps you would enjoy this yahoo group:

groups.yahoo.com/group/thereligioushabit/

Blessings,
Cloisters

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.