Question about the Rosary

What do you do if you get your days mixed up and realize your praying the wrong set of mysteries for the day?

I was praying it tonight and got done with the second mystery and it dawned on me that its Friday and I'm praying the joyful mysteries and its suppose to be the sorrowful. Since I was praying the joyful ones I just finished that set. Did I do right? Or should have started over?

I guess all the turkey I ate got my days mixed up and I thought it was Saturday lol

Not to worry! Since the Rosary is a contemplative prayer, you contemplated the Gospel of Christ - as intended. The days are suggested for order or routine, but are not mandatory. My wife and I recently prayed the glorious mysteries on Thursday with a friend dying of cancer - since they provide hope.

Christ's peace be with you.

The rosary is a private devotion, so not 'regulated' by the Church. You are free to pray them in whatever order you like, no need for scruples. I think you did what I would have done.

[quote="stockbrick240, post:1, topic:220898"]
What do you do if you get your days mixed up and realize your praying the wrong set of mysteries for the day?

I was praying it tonight and got done with the second mystery and it dawned on me that its Friday and I'm praying the joyful mysteries and its suppose to be the sorrowful. Since I was praying the joyful ones I just finished that set. Did I do right? Or should have started over?

I guess all the turkey I ate got my days mixed up and I thought it was Saturday lol

[/quote]

Can I ask you a question? How do you go about praying the mysteries, either joyful or sorrowful? I have a gap in my rosary development and don't really know how to do that part. Do you just think about whatever part of Jesus' life and ministry, do you try to picture whatever event, do you find a Scripture passage to memorize? All I seem to find are small thumbnails of each event, and I don't know what to do with that. Can you share your process with me? Thanks so much.

As for me, I try to picture myself in the event, and picture what Jesus was doing. Remember, the rosary is all about Jesus. We are meditating WITH the Blessed Mother ON Jesus life.

I know there are places to pray the rosary online and certainly on EWTN. Since these places usually offer some visuals depicting they mysteries, maybe it would be a good idea to try to visit/watch to help develop pictures in your mind.

Just a suggestion. :)

[quote="stockbrick240, post:1, topic:220898"]

[/quote]

:nope: you're gonna go straight to heck for a mixup that big!

Joking of course. :)

If you pray the mysteries as suggested they're all out of sequence anyways - the Luminous mysteries don't naturally belong on Thursdays, and if you don't pray them you end up praying the Glorious mysteries an extra day each week.

I don't think it really matters. I suppose the Sorrowful Mysteries got connected to Friday because the events they represent occurred mostly on Thursday night/Friday; reciting the mysteries in order would then naturally put the Joyful Mysteries on Thursday and the Glorious on Saturday.

Somebody mentioned the Luminous Mysteries falling on Thursday - could this be because one of the Luminous Mysteries is the Institution of the Eucharist, which happened on Thursday? I don't know the answer, just asking because it seems the logical reason for having them on Thursday.

Doesn’t the Catholic Church teaches that Heck is where we are purified prior to entering Heaven?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.