Question about the saints and religious life

Hi,
Were any of the Saints married? Can you be married and still become a recognised Saint? Is there any type of religious life similar to nuns or “sisters” that women can participate in or be a part of? My wife and I are both blind. I am catholic, she is not. She has recently joined the Order of the White Moon which is an offshoot of Wicka. Her problems or disagrements with the church are. She thinks since there are so many rules that Catholics must be some type of perfectionist people and if they are not then they’re not good catholics. She also doesn’t agree with or understand why only men get to be priests. She also thinks that catholocism is male dominated and that women are not equal, or they have inferior roles to play. So since we are married, any examples you could give --oh…she also says she is against organized religion. But that’s a controdiction because the order of the white moon is or has over 200 some members so far and is an organized religion. You just don’t see the organization right in front of you like in a church staring you in the face. Also I am working on fighting with the VR agency in Pennsylvania to send me to the Colorado national federation of the Blind training center. i will be gone for eight months but the center said my wife and one-year-old baby–the baby can see, my wife and I are blind they can visit and the center will pay for me to go visit them every two months or so. My wife grew up in a fundamentalist christian household, her parents are members of the church of the Nazarine. Any ideas?

Tons of saints were married. Start with Sts. Anne and Joachim, Mary’s parents. How about St. Gianna Molla, who gave her life for her unborn child? St. Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist. Just to name a few…

I’d suggest the book Married Saints and Blesseds by Ferdinand Holbock. There are many Saints who were married.

As for your wife’s issues with Catholicism, perhaps taking the issues one at a time through study. Getting a basic Catechism to study together would also be a possibility.

Many many saints were married - Sts Thomas More and Margaret Clitherow for starters. I believe St Therese of Lisieux’s parents are now venerable (first step on the road to sainthood), St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Margaret of Scotland, St Edward the Confessor, St Louis IX of France (basically all the saints who were kings or queens were married). St Brigit of Sweden, St Cecilia. St Rita of Cascia and St Jane Frances de Chantal were both married before entering religious life in widowhood, St Helen (mother of the Emperor Constantine), St Monica (mother of St Augustine).

This is all entirely off the top of my head - I’m sure there are plenty more.

ETA - of course, top of any list of married saints should be Our Lady and St Joseph! Funny we tend not to think of them as being married…

St. Henry and St. Cunegundes were married and lived in perpetual chastity.

Hey, did anyone mention Mary and Joseph? Or are we looking for people who have had sex and become saints?

Charming way of putting it. Yes I did mention them and yes plenty of the married people I’ve mentioned produced offspring. :thumbsup:

And there are many more besides who had congress without benefit of marriage and became saints - St Augustine and St Margaret of Cortona for two.

Just thought of another married saint - none other than our first Pope St Peter himself. (remember the mother-in-law?)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.