Question about the sin of abandonment

I know that the catholic definition of abandonment is if the parents depart completely from a child’s life. usually we think of children being dumped off somewhere.

what about something like a closed adoption though? I thik the parent or parents are trying to do what’s right for the child in this case but they are still wishing to cut all ties. would this be considered the same thing?

No. Sometimes it is not.

Where did you get that?

I’m trying to remember exactly, but it’s escaping me at the moment. may have been the catechism

The Catholic definition of abandonment has nothing to do with relinquishing parental rights, OP. “Abandonment” is the act of conforming onesself to the will of God, so that all that follows comes from love and sacrifice. It requires special graces from God.

But with regard to your original question, canon law states (in multiple places) that when civil law recognizes a relationship, the Church does as well. Each state has its own laws about adoption. Surrendering the care of a child, in either open or closed adoption, or taking on the care of a child as one’s own, is in the realm of civil law. Parents are obliged to the temporal and material welfare of the children they bring into the world. If that is not possible, they need to seek that care.

No. It is not the Catechism.

Angel, so many of your posts start with “it is Catholic teaching…” But then you cannot provide any actual church teaching that says what you propose. And then it comes down to you “heard it somewhere”.

Perhaps start your threads with “is this actually church teaching” first.

All parents have the responsibility (just as a matter of natural law) of making sure that their children are raised and educated in a healthy way, so that they can become healthy adults. Catholic parents have the additional responsibility of making sure that their children are educated and trained in the Catholic faith and in Catholic morality.

Now obviously, bad stuff can happen to a parent, like dying. It obviously isn’t a sin to have young kids that need you, and then happen to get hit by a car. A parent can prepare for this situation by having a backup plan for how to get the kids raised, often by choosing godparents or responsible family members ahead of time. The same thing is true if a parent should become ill and be physically unable to care for the kids.

It is also possible to send kids to stay at a boarding school or a sleep-away camp, for weeks or months or even years. In the old days, it was fairly common to send a few kids to stay at a relative’s house or a friend’s house over the summer – or even for years if the parents were poor, or the relative/friend had better schooling or jobs available for the kids. In the Bible, Samuel’s mother and father sent him to stay with the priest Eli at a very young age, so that he could serve the Lord as he had been born to do.

This is not neglect or abandonment; it is delegation. So obviously one can delegate parental duties to other adults.

If one can delegate parental duties, then for a sufficiently serious reason, one can permanently delegate them through adoption, and even through closed adoptions. And that is not a sin.

Adopting kids out for a frivolous reason would probably be a sin, although it could also be a sort of cry for help from a parent with psychological issues. (And in that case, it would be more a symptom or a breakdown than a sin.)

I hope this helps!

Abandonment, in my understanding, is impossible for the reason that the intellectual God has a highly predestined system for this achievement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.