Question about the Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary

Hello All,

I have just finished reading St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary while on a silent retreat put on by Opus Dei (talk about grace abounding!). I did not catch anything in the book about the requirement of making the consecration on a Marian feast day except the recommendation to do it on the feast of the Annunciation. However, everywhere I look I read that it is required to do so.

If it is not required, I would like to make the consecration on the anniversary of my Baptism, which is February 22, since the consecration is a perfect renewal of Baptismal vows through Mary to Jesus.

So I am wondering, once and for all (hopefully :slight_smile: ), is it required to make the total consecration on a Marian feast day?

I don’t want to be selfish, as that is completely the opposite idea of the consecration, so I will do what is required of me.

Thanks,
CP

JMJ

I think that you need to make it when you are moved to do so. It means more to do it when you are ready to do it. If a Marian feast day means more to you than another then so be it. However, if it moves you to make it on another day, say the feast of St. Kolbe or your patron saint or your birthday, then that’s fine too.

All that matters is that you listen to the Holy Ghost.

Please pray for my conversion.

In the Imaculata,
Tsion Avienu, MI

avienu@gmail.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

consecration.com/default.aspx?id=8

Totus Tuus sum, Maria,
Mater nostri Redemptoris.
Virgo Dei, Virgo pia.
Mater mundi Salvatoris.
Totus Tuus sum, Maria!

Ecclesiasticus 7:40 “In omnibus operibus tuis memorare novissima tua, et in aeternum non peccabis”, that is, “in all thy works be mindful of thy last end and thou wilt never sin”.

I truly think that is an excellent idea, and perhaps especially because someone close to me who has February 22 as a special day in his life as well. :wink: :smiley: You will be in my prayers.

I personally did my consecration on a Marian Feast day, our Lady of Sorrows, day in November on the Anniverary of the Kibeho, Rwanda genocide. I received numerous blessings for this endeavor that were eminently noticeable very soon after. :slight_smile:

Yet, I think that the blessings come from the heart-felt level of loving sacrifice given and the honor placed on Jesus and Mary, so you are still choosing to honor them since you have a specific devout reason for doing this - your gratitude at being baptised!! So I see this as a special case, an exception. Generally speaking though, if no special cirumstances arise or the case is indeterminable, I prefer to always pay the highest veneration to Jesus through Mary possible and choose the most Marian possible appropriate action. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: :clapping:

Hi, I did it in the month of May which is dedicated to Mary by the church. I believe PJP11 who’s motto was totus tuum - totally yours ( to Mary ) did it every year in the month of May too. I’m pretty sure of this. I might have my memory wrong but doesn’t the book recommend this? I thought the one I used long ago did?

You might think of getting the - secret of Mary- afterwards as this is the next progression. There are some big promises to those who practise this holy slavery to Mary. God bless. :slight_smile:

Opus Dei is great isn’t it.:thumbsup:

I think it says in another book by St Louis de Montfort, the Secret of Mary, that it’s a good idea to do the consecration on a feast day. But I’m not sure.

wait I’ll look it up :wink:

oki… yes… I just looked it up, it says to choose a “special feast day” to make your consecration. It also talks about the ways to prepare, and that on that day you should also receive Holy Communion.

I actually really recommend that book “the Secret of Mary”… it outlines the steps you can take to make the consecration, there are prayers, etc, it’s pretty good :slight_smile: if you omit these, I don’t think it makes the consecration false, but following the steps might help you prepare spiritually.

God bless!

Thank you all for your help! I just read the Secret of Mary as well, and I plan to make the Total Consecration the Feast of the Visitation, May 31. Please pray for me!

Also, please pray for our Catholic Community here at Vanderbilt. We have a retreat called Awakening happening in two weekends, and we need prayers! Thanks!

Hello,
In True Devotion to Mary it gives certain Marian Feast days to consecrate ourselves on.
I googled and found an organization which sends out 33 day consecration packets for free. It included some dates the book didn't. Like the day I will make my consecration on which is January 1st. - Mary Mother of God. There are really alot of Feast Days for Mary.
As there Should Be!
God Bless,
Leeray

P.S. What is the Tiber Swim Team?

awesome :)

the Tiber Swim Team is just people who have converted to the Church ;) for example, I would be Tiber Swim Team '09...haha

I have a question too.... it says in the book that on the day of Consecration, you have to go to Confession and Communion. Does Confession have to be on that day, or can it be before?? I'm renewing my Consecration so now Im wondering.. before I didn't have this problem because my feast day was on a Saturday.

Hi! I like the Tiber Thing!
Here's the email for the booklet [email]RWSKOI@aol.com[/email].
According to what I've read it is okay for confession and Communion as long as it is 8 days within the Date of Consecration.
God Bless,
Leeray

Thanks! :)

Greetings!
I have a question regarding the "little chains", St de Montfort discusses. I have read in other places that some people consider the chains from Holy necklaces to fit what St de Montfort ment but when I read True Devotion to Mary, he is very passionate on the value and need for these little chains of iron. I really want to do this to the deepest spiritual level. How would I get, and wear little iron chains? Go to Home Depot and get 6'' of little iron chain and figure out how to connect it? Is there anyone out there who found a way to really use little iron chain?
Thank you and God Bless,
Leeray

I'm actually wondering the same thing! :confused: I don't think the 'little chains' are necessary, but De Montfort certainly does recommend them.. maybe it would make a good reminder :)

[quote="leeray, post:12, topic:139624"]
Greetings!
I have a question regarding the "little chains", St de Montfort discusses. I have read in other places that some people consider the chains from Holy necklaces to fit what St de Montfort ment but when I read True Devotion to Mary, he is very passionate on the value and need for these little chains of iron. I really want to do this to the deepest spiritual level. How would I get, and wear little iron chains? Go to Home Depot and get 6'' of little iron chain and figure out how to connect it? Is there anyone out there who found a way to really use little iron chain?
Thank you and God Bless,
Leeray

[/quote]

[quote="Monica4316, post:13, topic:139624"]
I'm actually wondering the same thing! :confused: I don't think the 'little chains' are necessary, but De Montfort certainly does recommend them.. maybe it would make a good reminder :)

[/quote]

This link may help ewtn.com/library/Montfort/Handbook/Consecr.htm , especially the following paragraph:

c. The external sign of Consecration: little chains.

While insisting that the wearing of little chains is not essential for those who have willingly recognized their loving slavery to Jesus in Mary, nonetheless the missionary strongly encourages that this practice not be omitted. Since Montfort is basically recommending some clear external symbol of our baptismal Consecration through Mary, the substitutes mentioned when describing external practices of devotion to Mary in general would also apply here: "5. Carrying such signs of devotion to her as the rosary, the scapular, or a little chain" (TD 116). The ordinary chain that many wear with a cross or religious medal, a ring clearly symbolizing discipleship, the religious habit, all are legitimate substitutes for the little chain. Each culture will have its own manner of externally manifesting one’s Consecration, whether it be through a chain of some sort or through some other sign. Whatever it may be, the purpose of this recommendation should be fulfilled: "First, to remind the Christian of the vows and promises of his baptism, of the perfect renewal he has made of them by this devotion and of the strict obligation under which he is to be faithful to them . . . second, to show that we are not ashamed of the slavery and servitude of Jesus Christ and that we renounce the slavery of the world, of sin and of the devil . . . third, to protect ourselves against the chains of sin and of the devil for we must of necessity choose to wear either the chains of sin and damnation or the chains of love and salvation" (TD 238, 239). The chain or its substitute is, then, in Montfort’s eyes a constant effective sign both to us and to others, and also to the devil, of our Consecration to Jesus in Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.