Question about Tithing

I have tried reading other threads on this topic but none seems to answer my question, which is…
I recently started tithing and i usually split the 10% into two parts, one for the church and the other for charity, sometimes all goes into charity. Aside from the 10% i still do charity out of the remaining (not quantifiable though). My Priest asked me once that he doesn’t see my tithe, and he hopes that i actually pay tithe, when i told him i do, but anonymously,and not always to him. he calmly suggested that i try to do it like others. Yes, i don’t always set out 10% for tithe,but i always do some charity, sometimes more, sometimes less, as i’m a young vincentian and often find myself dipping into my personal funds to do what has to be done.

Am i doing the tithing wrong? Do i have to give the complete 10% to the church specifically,in a ‘tithe envelop’, and have another method for charity? Please how do others do it, and what does the church say about tithes? Is tithe different from the usual church offertory? Or do I spread the 10% through the masses in each month?

My apologies if this issue has already been discussed.thanks

In 61 years of church attendance I have never heard a Catholic priest mention tithing. The catholic cathechism does explain:

**The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.86

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities.87

86 Cf. CIC, can. 222; CCEO can. 25; Furthermore, episcopal conferences can establish other ecclesiastical precepts for their own territories (Cf. CIC, can. 455).**

So this might be a decision of your episcopal conference.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a3.htm

The Church doesn’t “tithe” as such. We give what
we are able and ten percent has nothing really to do
with it.
I’ve never even heard s priest use the word tithe anyway.
Do what you think best anyway you think it’s
best.

As others have said, the Church doesn’t require a tithe. However, I think it makes sense to give a set amount every week or every month. If parishioners make big donations one month and minimal donations the next, it makes it hard for anyone to plan a budget. The bills have to get paid every month so it helps to have a steady flow of money.

=eva77;11786757]I have tried reading other threads on this topic but none seems to answer my question, which is…
I recently started tithing and i usually split the 10% into two parts, one for the church and the other for charity, sometimes all goes into charity. Aside from the 10% i still do charity out of the remaining (not quantifiable though). My Priest asked me once that he doesn’t see my tithe, and he hopes that i actually pay tithe, when i told him i do, but anonymously,and not always to him. he calmly suggested that i try to do it like others. Yes, i don’t always set out 10% for tithe,but i always do some charity, sometimes more, sometimes less, as i’m a young vincentian and often find myself dipping into my personal funds to do what has to be done.

Am i doing the tithing wrong? Do i have to give the complete 10% to the church specifically,in a ‘tithe envelop’, and have another method for charity? Please how do others do it, and what does the church say about tithes? Is tithe different from the usual church offertory? Or do I spread the 10% through the masses in each month?

My apologies if this issue has already been discussed.thanks

The 10% being split is FINE:)

Don’t be bullied into something against you’re conscience.:thumbsup:

That’s a GUIDE not an absolute mandate.

God bless you,
Patrick

People in the USA use envelopes for tax purposes. The Church uses the envelopes to track what we give. At the end of the year the Church sends us a letter stating how much we gave and we use that to reduce our tax bill.

-Tim-

@TimothyH…i don’t think the tax stuff applies here in Nigeria.

Thanks everyone, i guess i’ll stick to what i do, and give more when i can, and not be ‘‘bullied’’ by anyone.

Most of the protestants here, use tithe like a yardstick,to measure the congregations love of God, its appalling, and i veiw it as ‘‘spiritual blackmail’’ (i may be wrong, but that’s how i see it), almost all their preachings centre around tithe/money, how you have to tithe to be rich,even if you are the worst person,just bring your money to church and we’ll reserve a space in heaven. So it totally put me off the whole tithe issue, because i don’t see why i shouldn’t tithe to the poor and needy, they are afterall my neighbors, and Jesus said we should see ‘Him’ in them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.