Question about tlm

i understand the prayers being in latin since they are directed to god. but why the scripture readings in latin too? shouldn’t they be read to the faithful?

Where do live that the readings are done in Latin? The whole Mass is in English around here, and in the local language everywhere that I know of.

(And even when I attended the Latin Mass 50 years ago and the whole Mass was in Latin, the readings were still repeated in English.)

I do like some Latin hymns though.

The scripture readings are from the Clementine Bible I believe and are uniform. The Epistle and Gospel are often repeated in the native tongue of the congregation. The translation used is from one of the handmissals, I believe; it’s not standardized which is the attempted norm of the vernacular Masses.

They usually are during the homily. It is a Mass, not a theology lesson. The faithful do not have to understand it, but contemplate it and understand that what they are hearing is sacred. Even in modern Papal Masses, the Gospel is chanted in Latin to emphasize its sacredness.

that’s not what scripture says about scripture. it’s no wonder there are accusaitons of the church keeping bible readings from the faithful.

Come on now, you know that Catholics don’t read the Bible!

Well, that’s a pretty indefensible accusation considering that translations of the readings are available in just about every hand missal, and finding a Catholic Bible, even in a very non-Catholic place, is a Google search away.

PS: Even centuries ago, how fruitful would a paper-and-ink Bible be to an illiterate, barely educated serf?

So why then have Popes promoted the universal practice of Lectio Divina? :rolleyes: :wink:

I think someone mentioned that on another forum. That the Bible is the most talked about, but least read book.It’s a boon for translators, though, with some 200 English Bibles out there.

I have to agree with this. There weren’t many Bibles back then because they all had to be hand-copied. The printing press wasn’t invented until around the Protestant Reformation (hence why Protestantism was able to spread so quickly). Plus, with the few Bibles that were available, who do you think needs them more? A peasant who can’t read, or the local parish priest who needs the Bible to educate the local children? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.